Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi ExpressCard drivers not on Sierra

I realize this a long shot, but here goes anyway:

I recently acquired a Linksys WEC-600N WiFi ExpressCard for an old 2011 17" MacBook Pro (it is on its last legs, but I am trying to squeeze every last bit of life out of it that I can). It is trivial to get it working when I boot into Yosemite (see http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/27159-installing-a-linksys-express card34-wifi-card-on-a-macbook-pro/), but I am having troubles getting it running on Sierra. Specifically, when I plug it in while in Yosemite, a new interface option appears on the Network preference pane (both in the list of configured services as well as in the menu for adding a new service); however, on Sierra nothing new appears in the Network preference pane anywhere, and there is no indication of it doing anything useful at all.

In both cases, a widget in the menu bar appears allowing me to control power to the device, and the device appears in the PCI entry of the System Information, as such:

ExpressCard:

Type: Other Network Controller

Driver Installed: No

MSI: No

Bus: PCI

Slot: ExpressCard

Vendor ID: 0x14e4

Device ID: 0x4328

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1737

Subsystem ID: 0x0068

Revision ID: 0x0003

Link Width: x1

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

The only observable difference here is that in Sierra (above), the "Driver Installed" and "MSI" are listed as "No", whereas in Yosemite they are listed as "Yes". Otherwise, the two entries are identical.

Based on that data alone, I am assuming this is related to a driver that I am presuming was discontinued in Sierra (others have reported that the device also works fine using El Capitan). Even so, whether or not that is accurate, I am at a loss for what to do next (if anything can be done at all). I have tried blindly copying kexts that sound related from Yosemite to Sierra, but I really don't know what I am doing there, and suffice to say, I have not had any luck at all with that.

Thoughts?

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 11:38 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

WiFi ExpressCard drivers not on Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.