Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create a table from other table depending on a value

Hello there,

I hope that you can help me with this little problem.

I have a sheet with two tables, one with a list of items and the other list needs to be created depending on a value of the first list.

The first table, has a "YES or NO" cell, depending if I want to buy that item.

So the second table only contains the items with the "YES" value.

How can I solve this?

Thank you for your time.

User uploaded file

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Mar 6, 2018 12:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2018 2:47 AM

Hi jordimasague,

Thanks for the gold star!

To simplify, both tables are on the same Sheet. When you get this to work, move (Cut and Paste) one table to another Sheet. The formulas will automatically adjust, if necessary.

User uploaded file

This works best if the tables have 1 Header Row and no Header Columns. Then it is easy to Fill the formula in ORDER LIST::A2 to the right and down.

Duplicate the LIST table and rename it as ORDER LIST.

Enter this formula in ORDER LIST::A2 (and Fill Right and Fill Down)

=LIST::A2

Now apply a Filter to ORDER LIST

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

When you type YES for broccoli in the LIST table,

User uploaded file

Regards,

Ian.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2018 2:47 AM in response to jordimasague

Hi jordimasague,

Thanks for the gold star!

To simplify, both tables are on the same Sheet. When you get this to work, move (Cut and Paste) one table to another Sheet. The formulas will automatically adjust, if necessary.

User uploaded file

This works best if the tables have 1 Header Row and no Header Columns. Then it is easy to Fill the formula in ORDER LIST::A2 to the right and down.

Duplicate the LIST table and rename it as ORDER LIST.

Enter this formula in ORDER LIST::A2 (and Fill Right and Fill Down)

=LIST::A2

Now apply a Filter to ORDER LIST

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

When you type YES for broccoli in the LIST table,

User uploaded file

Regards,

Ian.

Mar 6, 2018 10:58 PM in response to jordimasague

This is doable using just formulas. I just did this for a Cub Scout packs Pinewood derby where you dont know the order the kids check in but need to break them apart quickly into their grade levels (or ranks).

I cant do it in numbers from where i am (I only have excel at hand), but the basic formula looks like this for the first cell, in a hidden column, shows the row number of the first cell with a YES in it. (this cell is in my cell F1 btw)

=MATCH("Yes",$C$1:$C$8,0)

Followed in the cells below with:

=IFERROR(MATCH("Yes",OFFSET(C1,F1,0,10,1),0)+F1,"")

So we find the next match, add the offset of the last row and that gives the second row Yes was found on

then in my column G I use offset to move from a known point, using the row offset to tell the formula what text to grab.

=OFFSET($B$1,F1-1,0,1,1)

you subtract one because you dont want to -offset- the number of rows, but offset TO that row.

Hope you can see what I was doing here. If not maybe someone that has numbers at hand and can do some screenshots can help us both out.

Jason

Create a table from other table depending on a value

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.