Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network Lock symbol does not appear

I have just installed a new modem/router and have protected its wireless network with an encrypted WEP-64 password (which appears in my Keychain lists).

However when I view the drop-down list of all the surrounding networks found by both my computers, my network does not carry the little lock symbol as it did previously, and the system Profiler says I have no security.

My iPhone does show the lock symbol against my network.

Which is correct, and what must I do?

Posted on Mar 6, 2018 1:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2018 6:09 AM

have protected its wireless network with an encrypted WEP-64 password

WEP is obsolete and easily cracked by any number of free utilities available on the Internet, so your network is NOT protected, no matter whether you see a lock or not next to the network name.

You should use WPA2 Personal on your network to be up to date. A new higher level of security....WPA3.....is expected to be available later this year.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2018 6:09 AM in response to roger Symons

have protected its wireless network with an encrypted WEP-64 password

WEP is obsolete and easily cracked by any number of free utilities available on the Internet, so your network is NOT protected, no matter whether you see a lock or not next to the network name.

You should use WPA2 Personal on your network to be up to date. A new higher level of security....WPA3.....is expected to be available later this year.

Network Lock symbol does not appear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.