Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create macOS High Sierra Installation USB

Hi,

I want to create a bootable installation macOS High Sierra inside the High Sierra using Terminal but I have problem.

when I try to use this command :

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

I am getting this error :

sudo: unable to execute /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: Operation not permitted

I tried to use both DiskMakerX or install Disk Creator apps both neither working correctly in high Sierra. even I tried to disable System Integrity Protection but keep getting me the same error over and over again. (Just Take loot at the image)

Is there any solution for this problem?? (Sorry for my bad Grammar, English is not my first language)

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Mar 6, 2018 1:42 AM

Similar questions

15 replies

Mar 6, 2018 12:55 PM in response to M2ApLoPer

Does your User Account have Administrator privileges?

As long as the User Account you are using has Administrator privileges, I don't know why you would be experiencing trouble. SIP is not relevant. The installer app itself may be corrupted, which will require deleting it and downloading the High Sierra installer again. Open your Mac's App Store to do that, because an installer obtained from someone or somewhere else will not work.

I recommend the following, which requires a minimum of typing thereby minimizing the opportunity for error.

The following is the procedure I use and illustrates what you should see when creating a "bootable installer". Perhaps you will notice something different than what you have been experiencing.

To create a standalone installer on a USB flash drive or similar removable media, refer to the following instructions: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support.

Expanded instructions are as follows:

• Format the USB installer as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and GUID Partition Map.
  • Make sure its icon is present on your Desktop. Its name isn't important because createinstallmedia will change it.
  • Also, the Install macOS High Sierra app must be present in your Mac's Applications folder, otherwise the pathname shown below won't be correct.
  • Make the Finder's Applications window small enough so that you can see it, the Terminal window, and the USB drive icon, all at the same time.

Select the following line by dragging your cursor from just prior to the word sudo to just past the word volume. Don't triple-click the entire line and don't drag your cursor below the line:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume

Confirm that nothing is highlighted other than that line. Nothing before sudo and nothing after volume.

Then, Edit > Copy.

Go to the Terminal window, paste that line into the Terminal window, and type a space character. Stop right there; do not press Return.

Drag the SD card or USB flash drive icon from your Desktop to the Terminal window, and stop again.

Then, type (or copy/paste) the following into Terminal:

--applicationpath

... followed by another space character.

Then, drag the Install macOS High Sierra icon from your Applications folder into the Terminal window.

Finally, you can press Return.

This is an example of what should happen. The name of the USB drive is "untitled" in the following:

MacBookAir7:/ john$ sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app

Password: (type your Admin password - it will not be echoed, not even with •••• characters. Then press Return)

Ready to start.

To continue we need to erase the disk at /Volumes/untitled.

If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: Y

Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%...100%...

Copying installer files to disk...

Copy complete.

Making disk bootable...

Copying boot files...

Copy complete.

Done.

MacBookAir7:/john$

When it's finished the name of your USB or SD card installer will be Install macOS High Sierra and it will be selectable as a bootable device in Startup Manager: How to choose a startup disk on your Mac - Apple Support.

Mar 7, 2018 2:39 AM in response to M2ApLoPer

Looking more closely, the error basically says you can't run the command, so it is irrelevant whether the parameters are correct or not.

If the problem were because you were using sudo from a nonadmin account, the error message would have been different.

What is left is probably a corrupt installer; or maybe you got this small 19MB version instead of the full 5GB+ installer.

At this point I would download a new installer.

Mar 7, 2018 6:40 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you for your help and this full and perfect description.

My current high Sierra installer is isn't from Mac App Store, according to your description maybe this was cause the problem.

thanks again for your help, I'll redownload the installer (this time from Mac App Store) and try this solution. I'll come back to give the result to you and other users.

Create macOS High Sierra Installation USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.