Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My apple ID is not working to do a free update. I get the following message: This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled. It works on my iPad.

My Apple ID is not working to do a free update for my iMac. The message I get is : This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled. This ID works fine on my iPad. Is the Mac App Store somehow different?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Mar 6, 2018 3:09 AM

3 replies

Mar 8, 2018 11:55 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for trying to help. I've never had a different Apple ID than my current one that I can remember. It's one app from and OS X update (Photos). My best guess is that since it turns out be an outdated "update" (I'm using El Capitan, and this version of Photos is for Yosemite), the Apple system can't figure out any other response besides generating a message related to my Apple ID.

My apple ID is not working to do a free update. I get the following message: This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled. It works on my iPad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.