Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 MacBook Pro overheating with external display

My question is about chassis temperature and overheating issues. I have a recently (last week) bought a MacBook Pro 13" - 2017 with two Thunderbolt 3 ports. The notebook is performing fine, but when it is connected to the external Dell monitor (2560x1440 resolution), it gets uncomfortably hot. The same monitor was previously connected to a 2013 MacBook Air (i7) and there were no heating issue whatsoever (it would get hot only when doing extremely intensive CPU work).

The temperature on the left speaker is 40C (104F) and the temperature of the USB-C adapter's steel case is 45C (113F). The chassis around touchpad has 37C (99F). Measured with an IR thermometer. The room temperature is 26C (79F). The CPU usage is low (91% idle). The fan is silent (iStats report that it is at 1950 RPMs). The reported temperatures from iStat Menus are even higher (skin at 45C).

The USB-C - HDMI converter I'm using is this one.

The image from the iStat menus:

User uploaded file

I read that it was previously (on older MacBooks) possible to disable secondary graphics card, etc... but this one does have such settings.

I'm not worried about the hardware overheating, but the temperature is so high that it is uncomfortable using it. If the MacBook is charging at the same time, the temperature is even higher (I didn't measure it, since it was charged already when I took the measurements) ... and thus even more uncomfortable on my hands.

I performed Apple diagnostics and it reported no errors. The fans are otherwise working (they're active and audible when computer is charging).

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 6, 2018 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2018 11:04 AM

> They are not designed to be used for the same heavy tasks without proper cooling.

I agree. And I never complained that my MacBook Air (or iMac) got hot when compiling software or transcoding video or doing other intensive tasks. I expect that. Where we are (it seems to me) in disagreement is the definition of "heavy tasks". I can't agree that using an external 2560x1440 pixel display and using a browser is a heavy task for a 1800+ EUR computer.

I don't know if you've tried having your hands on 40+ C surface for more than 30 minutes, but I can tell you it is not pleasant. The representatives in the Apple store (where I was today, buying a new HooToo adapter, keyboard and mouse) confirmed that the 2017 MacBook Pro models "run hotter" than 2016 models (whatever that means, really).

IMHO, Apple poorly engineered cooling of this device for (some of) it's expected usage patterns. When not connected to an external display, it is really pleasant to use.

So, in order to use the computer for its intended purpose without uncomfortable heat from it's body, I just purchased an additional keyboard and mouse.

I appreciate your assistance in this matter.

Sincerelly,

Miha.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2018 11:04 AM in response to Kappy

> They are not designed to be used for the same heavy tasks without proper cooling.

I agree. And I never complained that my MacBook Air (or iMac) got hot when compiling software or transcoding video or doing other intensive tasks. I expect that. Where we are (it seems to me) in disagreement is the definition of "heavy tasks". I can't agree that using an external 2560x1440 pixel display and using a browser is a heavy task for a 1800+ EUR computer.

I don't know if you've tried having your hands on 40+ C surface for more than 30 minutes, but I can tell you it is not pleasant. The representatives in the Apple store (where I was today, buying a new HooToo adapter, keyboard and mouse) confirmed that the 2017 MacBook Pro models "run hotter" than 2016 models (whatever that means, really).

IMHO, Apple poorly engineered cooling of this device for (some of) it's expected usage patterns. When not connected to an external display, it is really pleasant to use.

So, in order to use the computer for its intended purpose without uncomfortable heat from it's body, I just purchased an additional keyboard and mouse.

I appreciate your assistance in this matter.

Sincerelly,

Miha.

Apr 18, 2018 12:19 PM in response to skyflyer000

Hi Miha,

I have the exactly same problem with my almost new macbook pro 15 touch bar (late 2016) when it's connected to an external monitor. I replaced my connectors a couple times (VGA to usb-C and also HDMI to usb-C). Some connectors get really hot itself which made me purchase an 'authentic' connector from Apple, but those didn't solve my overheating issue with the external monitor. My idea is to buy a new monitor having usb-C connection but hesitate to do it as I am not sure whether it will solve the problem (and it will be expensive purchase for something I am not sure). Your sincere response really helped me understand the issue with new macbook pro. Thanks!

Mar 7, 2018 12:25 PM in response to skyflyer000

Meanwhile, when you find the temp to hot to handle as you are running your software, I suggest you do this:

Use Activity Monitor to Kill Runaway Processes

Use Activity Monitor on your Mac

Runaway applications can shorten battery runtime, affect performance, and increase heat and fan activity.

Should the above not prove helpful, then make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Just in case there is a hardware problem.

Mar 6, 2018 2:41 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy,

the only temperature that is (in my opinion) not normal is the temperature of the chassis of the MacBook; I have my hands on it and it is definitely too hot.

If I unplug the external monitor, the temperature drops to "normal" levels where heat is not an issue. Same apps, so I assume no runaway processes, since the difference is a connected external display (I don't think external process creates runaway processes).

Kind regards, Miha.

Mar 6, 2018 3:01 PM in response to skyflyer000

The case is part of the heat dissipation system, so it will get hot depending on what the computer is doing. Adding an external monitor puts more demands on both the CPU and GPU thus generating more heat. If Activity Monitor doesn't reveal processes using a huge amount of CPU time or processes displayed in red then you're OK.

Mar 6, 2018 10:07 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy,

I believe I understand what you're saying. It seems to me, that we're talking about two different aspects though. You're talking about temperatures in general and that the temperatures are not on the "high" side and that it is normal for the computer to get hot, if you're using it. I respectuflly disagree. I believe internal temperatures are not problematic (my previous MacBook Air would get to 99 deg C on the CPU, but the computer's chassis were not as hot as this MacBooks when mostly idling). My colleagues MacBook Pro (2016 model) does not as hot when connected to two external monitors.

The 'problem', in my opinion, is that the heat, dissipated through the chassis of the computer is simply too much and that prevents comfortable use of the computer under normal and expected situations. In other words, I don't think connecting an external monitor should increase the the chassis temperature to levels which are not comfortable.

I assume the iStat Menus author agrees with me -- if you look at the "skin" temperature, you will see that the "bar chart" is near it's maximum.

I don't think I should be resorting to special methods of cooling the computer's chassis under normal use in order to use it comfortably. And having hands on a 45 deg C aluminium chassis while using the computer is not comfortable in my opinion.

Given your answers and your overall experience, I assume there's nothing wrong with my MacBook -- it's apparently how it was designed. I'll try to find some aftermarket fan control software and try to configure it so they activate sooner.

Kind regards!

Mar 8, 2018 4:48 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy, I appreciate your expertise. I've been researching a bit more. Here's what I think is really happening:

1. The USB-C - HDMI converter I've been using was getting very hot. The heat was also transfering through the USB cable to the MacBook's body.

1. In addition to above, the Intel GPU is doing more work, so it is obviously getting warmer/hotter (you can see on the screenshot above, it is at 68 C).

1. In addition to that, the system controlled fan speed is too low (~1700 RPM) to allow for cooling when the skin temperature is rising over 40C.

I noticed that I can tolerate ~40C just fine, but 42C is not good for prolonged (more than 30 min) use. It gets annoying fast over 41C.

I replaced the mentioned USB-C to HDMI converter with a HooToo converter and that one is not getting as warm as the previous one. Also, the USB-C connector has much lower temperature than the previous one (so I guess heat transfer is not that much).

This didn't quite solve the heating issue, though.

I used iStat Menus to change the speed of the fan, so it is cooling more. With the fan speed set at ~5000 RPM, the skin temperature is around 39-40C with light use of computer (MS Word, browser -- 90% idle). I was even able to charge the computer, have it connected to the external display and use it with skin temp under 40C with the fan at its maximum speed.

IMHO, the cooling system of the MacBook Pro is not suited for "Pro" use --

at least not in a comfortable way. I believe this could easily be adjusted with an OS/firmware upgrade, so that he OS would turn the fan speed up when reaching skin temperature of 40C.

I will also give MacFanControl a try, to see if can automatically adjust the fan speed .

Mar 8, 2018 10:51 AM in response to skyflyer000

The fan's maximum speed is 6000 RPM. It would be a bad idea to keep it constant at 5000 RPM as that would reduce the life expectancy of the fan(s). Laptops are not desktop computers. They are not designed to be used for the same heavy tasks without proper cooling. Be sure to use it only on a flat surface and elevate the rear about one inch to allow adequate airflow. You could also get a cooling pad to help.

2017 MacBook Pro overheating with external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.