Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote control for HomePod, not using AirPlay

It turns out the Music app is a fully featured remote control for HomePod. From the Now Playing screen in Music tap the AirPlay icon. Instead of choosing the HomePod as an AirPlay target swipe up and select the HomePod itself. Now tap the grey border or the selected device to close the device selection screen, close Now Playing, and select music to play on the HomePod. This isn't AirPlay, you can start something playing and quit the music app or reboot your device, and playback on the HomePod won't stop.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

I have Apple Music at the moment so I see the full iCloud Music library whether I'm looking at it on my iPhone or my HomePod but presumably if you only have purchased content available to the HomePod then that is what you would be able to see if you browse the library in the last view. The Now Playing screen can be used to control volume, play, pause, skip, rewind, and if you slide it up control shuffle and repeat.

tt2

HomePod, Space Grey

Posted on Mar 8, 2018 7:11 PM

Similar questions

16 replies

Apr 1, 2018 3:27 AM in response to AngelDelNorte

Quick update: Nope.

Slightly slower update: The Now Playing watch sub-app and the Music app now seem to be entirely separate. What's more, there is no way of getting to the Now Playing screen if you're not in it. If it's set to auto-start on music play, we do get the screen at first (with nice HP icon at top):

User uploaded file

As I mentioned above, I find it a ****** nuisance when this comes up automatically. But, if one navigates away from this at some point, there is no way to get it back (it doesn't appear in the app list, absurdly). Only stopping the playback and restarting it works (until you need the watch for something else). I've tried restarting the watch, that didn't help.

You can actually initiate play from the watch music app, attaching to the HomePod, but that turns out to be just Airplay from the phone.That NP screen is subtly different:

User uploaded file

Oh, and the phone music interface goes back to its native state after a while, whereupon it needs reconnection to the HP directly.

So I'm still hanging in mid-Airplay. Eh bien, thanks anyway folks. Once more unto the breach, and all that.

Rob

Jun 7, 2018 11:10 AM in response to turingtest2

You can also reach the second image in the original post via a long press on the Music widget in Control Center.

The iTunes AirPlay menu on a Mac includes a Switch to: option which can allow control of HomePod or Apple TV in a similar manner. This works with stereo paired HomePods whereas the regular AirPlay selection method doesn't handle the pair properly as yet.

tt2

Jun 12, 2018 1:57 PM in response to Howard Brazee

It can play whatever you tell it to play from your iCloud Music Library. That can be your entire music collection, or a specific playlist, album, or track. If you have Apple Music you can also use the browse tab to select anything in the Apple Music catalogue. You should also be able to control the repeat and shuffle options as you would if you were playing directly on the device. See Play, repeat, and shuffle music - Apple Support. See also Add music to your queue to play next - Apple Support. Your iOS device can tell you what is now playing, even if you used Siri to start playback. You can also ask Siri what is currently playing.

tt2

Mar 31, 2018 7:30 PM in response to turingtest2

Fascinating; don’t know how I missed this, but thanks very much! I’ve had nothing but bother with Airplay (losing sync with the interfaces, and stopping). I found this way of playing a while ago, but assumed it was just another route into Airplay. I’ll try it out to see if the stopping stops.

One disadvantage; the watch Now Playing does not pick up this version of the Now Playing screen, and that’s what I need to use to fine-tune the volume. Siri is... um, hit and miss there (and everywhere else); can’t change the volume ”by” a percentage (Siri, what’s a preposition?) There needs to be a visible percentage in the controls for this. Something else I should feed back to Apple about.

Oh, and the phone’s Now Playing screen loses its place too, and reverts back to whatever it was connected to, showing that music, after a few minutes. The music continues, but the controls won’t work unless it’s reconnected by the method above.

But here’s hoping Airplay 2 arrives soon, as this is not a long-term solution; the device is pretty much unusable in its current state.

Apr 1, 2018 2:06 AM in response to michael_leahcim

Aha! Thank you both! I hadn't even thought to check that(at least not yet).

I'll be trying this out at length; it could be a game-changer. Will also have to see if this interface remains persistent while playing, as it didn't before. Now that the watch music app has been fixed, I use that Now Playing rather than the separate one (having disabled its auto-start; just a preference). There doesn't seem to be a lock screen interface on the phone, however. Can probs live without that.

Great stuff, though, cheers all.

Apr 1, 2018 4:59 AM in response to AngelDelNorte

Once active, you can add the Now Playing app to the dock. It also shows up usually in the Siri watch face.

One potential issue is how long does the HomePod stay the active device on the phone as this is a prerequisite for controlling HomePod with the watch. I don’t totally understand why this should necessarily be the case, but it seems to be. It’s more logical when you think of watch being a satellite device to phone rather than an autonomous device.

In other words, now playing can control music play on the watch or the current audio device on the phone.

May 8, 2018 3:57 PM in response to turingtest2

I enjoy directly directly controlling the HomePod on the iPhone's Now Playing screen, but find that it switches back to the phone music app's Now Playing screen after a few minutes. This occurs even if the music app is inactive and the HomePod has been playing continuously. Has this been your experience as well? Perhaps forthcoming updates (Airplay 2, etc.) will fix this, but so far I haven't figured out a workaround.

FWIW:

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.3.1

HomePod 11.3

Jun 12, 2018 1:41 PM in response to turingtest2

I tried this and it's playing music from my library - but I don't know which music it's playing. I would like to control whether it plays Christmas music or not. And I'd like my Home Pod to use Apple Music to select music it thinks I would like. I see that when I got my Home Pod and needed Apple Music, my phone and pad's music program got a heart icon, which I'm guessing is Apple Music recommendations. I don't see anything similar on my iMac's iTunes.

Looking on my phone, I see an "up next" selection, but haven't inferred any rules about where it selects the music from.

Jun 12, 2018 7:16 PM in response to turingtest2

I can tell my Home Pod to play my "Practice" playlist, but it doesn't understand when I tell it to play my "My top rated", or my "My not bad" playlists.

I don't know how to tell my iTunes or my HomePod to play music it thinks I would like, from Apple Music. I *can* tell my HomePod to play a category of music, but don't know how to do the same thing with my iPad or iTunes.

Jul 15, 2018 3:29 PM in response to turingtest2

Current status:

I have some playlists that my HomePod finds, and others it doesn’t.
I have tried multiple renames of playlists, and have told iTunes/File/Library/Update iCloud Music Library multiple times. I have tried playlists both on and off of a subfolder.
I have Apple Music (only to access my iTunes), but not Match.

I have turned off my HomePod and added it back in.

I have added the cloud icon to display in my iTunes lists, and sorted by it to make sure I didn’t have any clouds in songs selected.

I’ve simplified names from what they were before to make it easy to say:

“Hey Siri, play Best playlist”.

Here’s results:

Best Best of the week

Good Feeling Good Now

OK It’s OK to be Sad Now

Practice Practice

Radio Stations (a different radio station, not the one I have in this playlist)

(My radio station is not eligible to be in the iCloud music library anyway)

Sound of Music Sound of Music

5 Star 5 Star

Filk Filk

Jazz Jazz

It would be nice to simplify the name of podcasts, but the one I care about most is purchased, and I had to do special stuff to get it to my iTunes.
So I use my HomePod as a remote speaker for it or for radio stations.

Remote control for HomePod, not using AirPlay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.