Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this true, I don’t get a new battery I get a refurbished phone ??? I need a new battery not another phone

I want a new battery not another phone

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 6:50 AM

8 replies

Mar 9, 2018 9:13 AM in response to seanfromsalford

What others are saying is **typical**, that they actually open up the device that the customer brings in and returns it with a new battery. However, Apple does reserve the right to exchange the device brought in for an equivalent replacement device with a new battery already installed. If someone botches the battery replacement then they can "make things right" with a replacement unit. I read an article from someone who took up the offer early, and he got a replacement unit, which could have been new or a refurb. That transaction literally took about 2 minutes where they barely looked at his original device. I frankly wouldn't mind that as I back up my iPhone, and all refurbs come with with new glass.

Certainly for iPads, Apple's "battery replacement service" only means getting a new one. However, taking apart an iPad to replace the battery is a lot more work than with an iPhone.

Mar 9, 2018 11:14 AM in response to seanfromsalford

If you have an iPhone 6/6+, buying a battery from someone other than Apple and trying to do the replacement yourself is probably a very bad idea. If you lack experience with doing work on small electronics, you may damage something. And, once your phone has been opened by someone unauthorized (yes, that includes you), Apple may refuse to service it at all.

Even if you're not eligible for the $29 replacement, for most people, having Apple replace the battery for $79 is still a wiser course of action.

Even if they replace the entire phone, so what? You gave them a used phone, they give you back a phone that has been factory refurbished, tested more than one fresh off the assembly line with a new screen and a new battery. If they're still only charging you for the replacement of the battery, you've gotten a great deal.

Mar 9, 2018 11:23 AM in response to Vegan Advocate

Vegan Advocate wrote:

batteries are not expensive, and tools to do the work are not expensive either. check on ebay for specifics as batteries vary a bit for each model of phone

last phone i refurbised was my 5c as i wanted to be sure it would be useful

i use my se but the 5c is a spare in case the se gets damaged or sick

That may be possible, but for the most part that's risky a lot of the value that Apple provides. While I have debated about the issues with warranty law, after any warranty period is over, no manufacturer is required to service a product for any reason. Apple has stated that signs of "aftermarket repair" is enough for them to decline any out of warranty service.

Batteries are also a tricky thing. It's not simply a battery but a complete system with a smart battery board. You're hoping that it all works together. Many people report that their aftermarket batteries just don't seem to last or perhaps shut down prematurely.

Is this true, I don’t get a new battery I get a refurbished phone ??? I need a new battery not another phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.