Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

malwarebytes = Advanced Mac Cleaner

Howdy,

I found Advanced Mac Cleaner (from inside an Adobe Flash update--Steve J. hated it) had insinuated itself into the Process start. Using Activity Monitor I could not kill, abort etc the helperamc (note the misspell) PID, it came back after maybe 2-3 seconds.

I found Malwarebytes recommended on Apple.com.

Now Malwarebytes wants money....so did Advanced Mac Cleaner...so they are the same?

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 7:57 AM

No, not even close to the same.

Advanced Mac Cleaner is a known scam. Totally worthless junk.

MalwareBytes for Mac is one of only two detection/removal apps experienced users will recommend. They started offering a paid version a little while back, but you can still use it as a free app.

Also, that Flash update did not come from Adobe. I would bet anything you downloaded something from a site that claimed Flash was out of date and you needed to install it. What you got was a Trojan. Flash should never, ever, be acquired anywhere other than directly from Adobe.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2018 7:57 AM in response to rwinburn

No, not even close to the same.

Advanced Mac Cleaner is a known scam. Totally worthless junk.

MalwareBytes for Mac is one of only two detection/removal apps experienced users will recommend. They started offering a paid version a little while back, but you can still use it as a free app.

Also, that Flash update did not come from Adobe. I would bet anything you downloaded something from a site that claimed Flash was out of date and you needed to install it. What you got was a Trojan. Flash should never, ever, be acquired anywhere other than directly from Adobe.

Mar 9, 2018 7:55 AM in response to rwinburn

There are many bogus Flash Player updates out there. Only download Flash Player Updates from either System Preferences > Flash Player > Check for updates or from the Official Adobe site. It sounds like you got a bogus Malwarebytes along with it. It has nothing to so with Advanced Mac Cleaner, which is practically malware and should be uninstalled.

Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac. I'd suggest getting in touch with Malwarebytes Support. I'm sure they would also be very interested in this. Note that there is also a free version of Malwarebytes.

malwarebytes = Advanced Mac Cleaner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.