Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto library backup cannot be added to Photo library because the file format is not supported by Photos

I have successfully imported a much older (circa 2012) era iPhoto library from an external hard drive by dragging and dropping the iPhoto library application icon into the 'Photos' application dashboard icon. However, when I attempt the same method for any more recent (2017) iPhoto libraries, from the same external hard drive, it tells me "These items cannot be added to your Photo library because the file format is not supported by Photos." The more recent backups were created via Timemachine before my previous MacBook crashed. Both the 2012 and 2017 backups were created from the same older MacBook, and same operating systems. How can I access these photos? I'm currently using a 2017 MacBook Pro OS 10.13.1. Photos version 3.0.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), Photos version 3

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 8:13 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 9, 2018 8:40 AM in response to chukkadeem

And. you cannot migrate an iPhoto Library to Photos, if the library is on a drive used by Time Machine. You have to restore the the library to a different drive (Where is it safe to store a Photos Library? Requirements for the external drive)

I'm currently using a 2017 MacBook Pro OS 10.13.1. Photos version 3.0.

Is there a reason, why you did not install the update to macOS 10.13.3? There are important bug fixes for more stability.

iPhoto library backup cannot be added to Photo library because the file format is not supported by Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.