Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring data from old to new iMacs

I want to transfer about 5,000 photos in my old iMac to my new iMac which has about 20 Photos taken recently with my iPhone. Initially, Migration Assistant looks very good; then I discover MA doesn't work down to this level. How should I proceed?

Cheers

Nick

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 10:54 AM

Either use an external drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) or iCloud Photo Library

If you are not using iCloud Photo Library quit Photos and drag the library to the EHD then shut down and connect the drive to the new computer and drag the library to it - the best place is the Pictures folder but be sure to rename it so you do not overwrite the existing library

If you are using ICPL then log in to the same account on both and let the library sync

LN

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2018 10:54 AM in response to mypension

Either use an external drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) or iCloud Photo Library

If you are not using iCloud Photo Library quit Photos and drag the library to the EHD then shut down and connect the drive to the new computer and drag the library to it - the best place is the Pictures folder but be sure to rename it so you do not overwrite the existing library

If you are using ICPL then log in to the same account on both and let the library sync

LN

Transferring data from old to new iMacs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.