Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Pro Touch Pad problems

Hello,

I just upgraded my 2014 Mac Book Pro.

But am having significant issues with the new touch pad and it's interaction with applications.

I wondered if there are setting recommendations to get it working as close as possible to the older Mac Book? I have tried multiple preferences changes to no avail.

1 - When using Photoshop and clicking on a tool instead of activating the tool, it's bringing up the sub tool menu (left hand side menu) - it's very sensitive even if move if off light in settings.

2. The bottom of the touchpad is to sensitive to palms as it doesn't have the same small gap the old Mac Book Pro had, this causes inadvertent clicks even if I operate as like a professional pianist with my hands suspended in a painful arch pose.

3. Right Click in some applications then just doesn't work at all, but if I try again may work, but then the menu suddenly "clicks off" before I can make a selection.

I am within 14 days (just) if I can't resolve this, I am returning this Mac but am hopeful there are some simple settings I can use to make this usable for me. I have turned off all gestures as that was going crazy with rotate etc in Photoshop.

Thanks

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 5:34 PM

You can edit a couple of settings to help fix this issue:

1. Adjust your trackpad 'click' pressure under System Preferences>Trackpad

2. Turn off 'tap to click.'

3. Rest your palms on your trackpad. Like freely rest them there. I know that sounds counterintuitive, but if you put your palms on there firmly, then your trackpad can better recognize that the input is from a hand and not from a finger.

Bear in mind that I use the same type of computer. 😉 It can be done, but it may take a couple of days to get used to it.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2018 5:34 PM in response to Smezbrooklyn

You can edit a couple of settings to help fix this issue:

1. Adjust your trackpad 'click' pressure under System Preferences>Trackpad

2. Turn off 'tap to click.'

3. Rest your palms on your trackpad. Like freely rest them there. I know that sounds counterintuitive, but if you put your palms on there firmly, then your trackpad can better recognize that the input is from a hand and not from a finger.

Bear in mind that I use the same type of computer. 😉 It can be done, but it may take a couple of days to get used to it.

Mar 9, 2018 12:46 PM in response to Kappy

Hi, thanks, but I have been using Pros for 12 years plus and this is the first time I honestly can't get with setting tweaks a usable product for multimedia use. Whilst I could brave an Apple Store to see if they have better luck (my local one is not the best in terms of knowledge set), the next available appointment time would take me over 14 days so it rules it out which is a shame.

I think I'll just return it, get my 3,400 USD back. In reality, I was in two minds when I heard they soldiered the RAM in so you can't switch it out (in an unofficial manner).My old Mac Book Pro 2014 I upgraded it out of warranty to be 16GB back in the day. A laptop that is for pro users that is still 16 GB years for 3K plus is behind the market specs for my area. I regularly am running close to the limit already on it with a few applications open like substance painter, photoshop and basic modeling in Maya (I don't use to render that goes to a farm). They tend to be a little hungry on memory.

I had read people are using tape etc to fix the touchpad, and that makes me scratch my head a little to think about a brand new expensive machine with tape all over it.

I'll guess I can cope on my old one which is running fine, and hope the new version has some tweaks that makes it more palatable and commercial for me and save the money to wait and see what comes next.

Mar 9, 2018 12:53 PM in response to Smezbrooklyn

Whatever you choose. But understand Apple has nothing to do with non-Apple software. If the software you use does not support the Touchbar or supports it poorly, then you should complain to them not to Apple.

I did a quick search on Google and could not find a laptop supporting more than 16GBs of RAM. Your area is hardly ahead of the memory game.

Mar 9, 2018 5:38 PM in response to zfJames

Thanks nearly there with that, it's gotten a little better I pushed my palms down hard and you were right, it actually works much better!

Still not quite convinced - I found an Apple Store within a few hours that can see me tomorrow at Genius, will see if they can get me up and running if not they said they will do the full refund (so good customer services),

Also re the comment (not yours) re software issues - I don't have issue with the touch bar (I quite like it).

It's the Touch Pad.

Mar 10, 2018 10:49 AM in response to Kappy

Oh boy - try NewEgg click on laptop and 32gb as filter - enjoy the over 1000 results.....

I am really shocked that you would think in 2018 there are ZERO laptops with 32gb RAM in. But I am not sure I can help you, but you are hijacking my thread that requested help to argue something that you could simply find out for yourself with a little education.

Hope that at least debunks your incorrect responses above, if nothing else it hopefully can give you some insight into the wider market in this area 🙂

New MacBook Pro Touch Pad problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.