Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS (APFS) and bootcamp partitions no longer mount

I recently applied two updates to my Windows 7 system (system is kept up to date regularly). They were applied following a shutdown. When I rebooted a short time later, the system started from my High Sierra backup drive. My primary macOS (High Sierra, APFS) and Windows 7 partitions configured on a hardware RAID drive (Velocity x2) did not appear in the Finder.

I ran diskutil list in a terminal window and got the following results:

User uploaded file

The RAID is 500GB total created from two 250GB Samsung SSDs (disk5). It is encouraging to see two partitions showing up in the terminal window, although the APFS volume shows as HFS.

I wanted to post here before I make any recovery attempt. Another user suggested booting into Parted Magic. The Partition Editor has an option to scan but I'm concerned that it might do more than read and report. Although the Windows bootcamp partition is actually more important to me right now, I would like to get back the APFS partition also if possible.

Hopefully this is something simple for those skilled using the terminal window.

Good to see that Loner T is still active here. 🙂

My system is a 2009 MacPro.

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 1:48 PM

Similar questions

50 replies

Mar 10, 2018 4:10 PM in response to Loner T

I could do that, but I could also attach them to a simple SATA to USB adapter. That would be easier. 🙂

I used RAID0, unfortunately. The most vulnerable to failure option I could have chosen, I know. I did it for the performance gain and, knowing that if I setup the RAID in hardware, I could have macOS and Windows. At least I can say that it was reliable for almost two years up to this point.

I have attached the BIOS setup screen for Velocity Duo I captured when I first configured the RAID. I need to stick the card in a compatible PC in order to get to this screen again (the MacPro will not let you get there). I had to dig through some old emails to find out what machine I used to configure it! It is very picky.

If I can get to this setup screen again, it might tell me something more useful about the RAID.

User uploaded file

Mar 10, 2018 4:45 PM in response to Loner T

Getting to the Velocity BIOS screen was easier than I thought it would be. I just had to remember I needed to return the compatible PC to Legacy mode (Velocity does not work in UEFI).

What I discovered next is both interesting and encouraging. The RAID seems to have broken but both drives are still recognized. The screens would seem to indicate that I just need to rejoin them. But....will this be a destructive change or will it simply return things to the way they were? Tough decision but it may be the only option.

Maybe I should proceed with caution. I know Apricorn no longer sells this product but they may still be able to answer what will happen to my data if I try to merge them back.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 9, 2018 3:08 PM in response to Loner T

The system is currently booting from a backup of High Sierra on separate drive. This is what was used to generate the diskutil output I posted. Neither OS on the RAID drive is bootable. No attempt by an older macOS system to access an APFS volume has been made.

NOTE: I have a Sierra drive too but not have not booted from it since moving to HS. Not that you've warned me, I won't! 🙂

Mar 9, 2018 8:49 PM in response to Jeff Robertson

Here is the terminal output when booted from the recovery partition.

Let me know if this is ok.

-bash-3.2# diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *128.0 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_APFS Container disk3 127.8 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):

0: GUID_partition_scheme *64.0 GB disk1

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Sierra 63.7 GB disk1s2

/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk2

1: Windows_NTFS Storage 500.1 GB disk2s1

/dev/disk3 (synthesized):

0: APFS Container Scheme - +127.8 GB disk3

Physical Store disk0s2

1: APFS Volume Backup 37.8 GB disk3s1

2: APFS Volume Preboot 21.0 MB disk3s2

3: APFS Volume Recovery 522.8 MB disk3s3

4: APFS Volume VM 20.5 KB disk3s4

/dev/disk4 (internal, physical):

0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk4

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk4s1

2: Apple_HFS Stash 2.0 TB disk4s2

/dev/disk5 (disk image):

0: GUID_partition_scheme +2.1 GB disk5

1: Apple_HFS OS X Base System 2.0 GB disk5s1

/dev/disk6 (external, physical):

0: GUID_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk6

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk6s1

2: Apple_HFS 249.7 GB disk6s2

/dev/disk7 (disk image):

0: untitled +5.2 MB disk7

/dev/disk8 (disk image):

0: untitled +524.3 KB disk8

/dev/disk9 (disk image):

0: untitled +524.3 KB disk9

/dev/disk10 (disk image):

0: untitled +524.3 KB disk10

/dev/disk11 (disk image):

0: untitled +2.1 MB disk11

/dev/disk12 (disk image):

0: untitled +524.3 KB disk12

/dev/disk13 (disk image):

0: untitled +524.3 KB disk13

/dev/disk14 (disk image):

0: untitled +12.6 MB disk14

/dev/disk15 (disk image):

0: untitled +2.1 MB disk15

/dev/disk16 (disk image):

0: untitled +1.0 MB disk16

/dev/disk17 (disk image):

0: untitled +2.1 MB disk17

/dev/disk18 (disk image):

0: untitled +524.3 KB disk18

/dev/disk19 (disk image):

0: untitled +524.3 KB disk19

/dev/disk20 (disk image):

0: untitled +1.0 MB disk20

/dev/disk21 (disk image):

0: untitled +6.3 MB disk21

/dev/disk22 (disk image):

0: untitled +6.3 MB disk22

/dev/disk23 (disk image):

0: untitled +524.3 KB disk23

/dev/disk24 (disk image):

0: untitled +2.1 MB disk24

-bash-3.2#

Mar 10, 2018 3:59 AM in response to Jeff Robertson

My primary macOS (High Sierra, APFS) and Windows 7 partitions configured on a hardware RAID drive (Velocity x2) did not appear in the Finder.

Since the underlying RAID configuration is not visible from diskutil, your current output does show an APFS container and a NTFS file system. Do these no longer mount, but can they be manually mounted?

Which specific W7 patches were applied?

Mar 10, 2018 7:15 AM in response to Loner T

One of the updates was for security essentials definitions. The other was a single critical system update but I did not note which one. It was part of the monthly updates for March, I'm sure.

Mounting did not go so well, with the exception of the EFI:

Mac-Pro:~ jeff$ diskutil mount /dev/disk5

Volume on disk5 failed to mount; if it has a partitioning scheme, use "diskutil mountDisk"

If the volume is damaged, try the "readOnly" option

Mac-Pro:~ jeff$ diskutil mount readOnly /dev/disk5

Volume on disk5 failed to mount; if it has a partitioning scheme, use "diskutil mountDisk"

Mac-Pro:~ jeff$ diskutil mount readOnly /dev/disk5s1

Volume EFI on /dev/disk5s1 mounted

Mac-Pro:~ jeff$ diskutil mount readOnly /dev/disk5s2

Volume on disk5s2 failed to mount

Although not listed above I did try mountDisk also.

Mar 10, 2018 8:07 AM in response to Loner T

Just disk5 as pictured in my original screencap.

In the Windows world, I would call this a partition table problem. If the RAID configuration is damaged, I do not think we would be seeing any of the separate disks (0,1,2) show up in diskutil.

I may be forced to try to recover the data from the Windows partition using Parted Magic and then wipe it all out and start over. I would lose some data on the macOS APFS partition unless there is a way to recover that also.

Mar 10, 2018 8:27 AM in response to Jeff Robertson

Can you post the output of diskutil list (again) and highlight which specific disks you are having problems with because disk5 is something different?

If there is no entry in Recovery for the disk you want, boot normally from High Sierra and we can check if the disk shows up under normal boot. RAID controller software may not be loaded correctly during Recovery.

Mar 10, 2018 8:34 AM in response to Loner T

When booted up from recovery, the RAID is renumbered as disk 6 but it is the same as disk5 in my first example. It shows up whether booted normally or in recovery.

/dev/disk6 (external, physical):

0: GUID_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk6

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk6s1

2: Apple_HFS 249.7 GB disk6s2

disk6s0 and disk6s2 do not mount. disk6s0 is my Windows partition (NTFS format) and disk6s2 is the macOS HS boot drive and should be APFS format. Getting the partitions recognized again as their true format would solve the problem. I don't know if it is possible or not.

The RAID was built in hardware with the Velocity card installed in an actual PC. The MacPro just sees it as a single large drive and sees the controller just fine. It is only the two partitions that are damaged in some way.

Mar 10, 2018 8:36 AM in response to Jeff Robertson

Post the output of

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk6

Currently macOS sees it as a 250Gb disk (LUN) with a HFS file system of 249GB. It is unlikely that there is a disk6s0 which will be too small to hold a reasonable Windows file system. If the file system is corrupted, we can also check the output of

sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk6s2 count=5 2>/dev/null | hexdump -C

for sanity.

macOS (APFS) and bootcamp partitions no longer mount

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.