Related Article

Connect and use your AirPods

Question:

Question: AirPods connecting to Multiple Devices?

Do the AirPods seamlessly(Without manually switching) connect to all the devices (Iphone, Mac Book pro, Mac mini) running with same apple id? If so how to do it?

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Jun 14, 2018 11:50 PM in response to vrc0503 In response to vrc0503

Yes. One AirPod connected to iPhone, another airpod connected to Macbook.

1. turn on bluetooth on iPhone, turn off bluetooth on Mac.

2. Insert one airpod into your ear, keep the other airpod in case.

3. connect first airpod to iPhone (then try playing some music)

4. turn on bluetooth on Mac

5. on Mac, click connect to airpods

6. immediately open case and insert 2nd airpod into ear. (then try playing other music on Mac)

7. VOILA! you will hear 2 different music on each airpod/ear!! AirPods is now connected to 2 devices concurrently!!

ENJOY1! 🙂

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Mar 9, 2018 2:10 PM in response to zfJames In response to zfJames

I have to go to my mac book pro and then connect them. So apparently the connection on the iphone is lost. So in case i want to use it back i have to go to the bluetooth and then connect them. Is there a solution to stay connected in all devices at same time.

Mar 9, 2018 2:10 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 9, 2018 2:16 PM in response to vrc0503 In response to vrc0503

Can't be done. Sorry... :/ AirPods don't accept multiple Bluetooth connections at the same time because they couldn't handle the possible scenarios that would result. What if you were playing music on both devices at the same time? AirPods aren't designed to handle multiple inputs... Again, you don't have to use Bluetooth every time. You can just use AirPlay, which is available from your iTunes menu in your Mac or the Music app on your iPhone (along with several other locations): How to AirPlay audio - Apple Support

Mar 9, 2018 2:16 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 9, 2018 2:16 PM in response to vrc0503 In response to vrc0503

vrc0503 wrote:

I have to go to my mac book pro and then connect them. So apparently the connection on the iphone is lost. So in case i want to use it back i have to go to the bluetooth and then connect them. Is there a solution to stay connected in all devices at same time.

This is not possible with any Bluetooth device from any manufacturer. A BT device can only be connected to one "master" at a time. The AirPods will remain connected to the last device they connected to, unless that device is not within range; this is a small improvement over most other BT devices; if you were using the AirPods with your Mac, and the Mac was out of range, they will connect to your phone.

Mar 9, 2018 2:16 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 26, 2018 7:14 AM in response to Jonathan Ramsay1 In response to Jonathan Ramsay1

Jonathan Ramsay1 wrote:

Yes this is very possible. Jabra 65T do this very well. You just press stop on one device and play on the other.

Yes, and the AirPods can do that. But the OP wants to hear simultaneously from 2 sources, not switch between them.

Apr 26, 2018 7:14 AM

Reply Helpful

May 14, 2018 12:53 PM in response to Lawrence Finch In response to Lawrence Finch

The AirPods most definitely do not seem to do that. Please do not spread misinformation. The AirPods do not allow seamless automatic switching of playback between two devices. They need to be manually selected as the output from the second device. There are other Bluetooth earphones that do not require this manual selection. You just hit play on the second device and that’s it.

May 14, 2018 12:53 PM

Reply Helpful (3)
Question marked as Helpful

Jun 14, 2018 11:50 PM in response to vrc0503 In response to vrc0503

Yes. One AirPod connected to iPhone, another airpod connected to Macbook.

1. turn on bluetooth on iPhone, turn off bluetooth on Mac.

2. Insert one airpod into your ear, keep the other airpod in case.

3. connect first airpod to iPhone (then try playing some music)

4. turn on bluetooth on Mac

5. on Mac, click connect to airpods

6. immediately open case and insert 2nd airpod into ear. (then try playing other music on Mac)

7. VOILA! you will hear 2 different music on each airpod/ear!! AirPods is now connected to 2 devices concurrently!!

ENJOY1! 🙂

Jun 14, 2018 11:50 PM

Reply Helpful (5)

Jun 20, 2018 4:54 PM in response to Lawrence Finch In response to Lawrence Finch

I have had a set of LG wireless earphones for 3 years and I have always connected them simultaneously through BT to my iphone6 and Samsung Note4. I will get a call on the Iphone and later on on the Note and the earphones will remain connected to both at all times. I can only take one call at a time from either phone. Before getting my Airpods I purchased the Bose Airplay wireless earphones, they also connect to both phones every time. I heard the good and the bad about the Airpods and so far the bad absolutely overwhelms the good. I think Apple Airpods are just behind the competition.

Jun 20, 2018 4:54 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Jul 3, 2018 11:20 AM in response to mrbasil In response to mrbasil

100% agree. Absolutely lame. My Bose headphones switch audio sources seamlessly (i.e., multiple Bluetooth connections simultaneously) and it's amazing. I am listening to music on my MacBook. If I get a call on my iPhone (and answer it), Bose knows to stop the music on the laptop and switch to the call on the iPhone. When the call ends, Bose switches back to the music on the laptop. Manual switching with the AirPods is extremely annoying.

Jul 3, 2018 11:20 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Jul 26, 2018 3:02 PM in response to zfJames In response to zfJames

“all you have to do” means it’s not seamless. With Bose QC35you do nothing. Your pair them to your iPhone and Mac once. From then on you turn on the headphones, they connect to both devices, and that’s it. You’re listening to music on your Mac and a call comes in via your iPhone ? No problem. The answer the call and the music from the Mac stops. iPhone call ends? No problem. Music from the Mac resumes playing. That is seamless.

Jul 26, 2018 3:02 PM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: vrc0503

Question: AirPods connecting to Multiple Devices?