Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods connecting to Multiple Devices?

Do the AirPods seamlessly(Without manually switching) connect to all the devices (Iphone, Mac Book pro, Mac mini) running with same apple id? If so how to do it?

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2018 11:50 PM

Yes. One AirPod connected to iPhone, another airpod connected to Macbook.

1. turn on bluetooth on iPhone, turn off bluetooth on Mac.

2. Insert one airpod into your ear, keep the other airpod in case.

3. connect first airpod to iPhone (then try playing some music)

4. turn on bluetooth on Mac

5. on Mac, click connect to airpods

6. immediately open case and insert 2nd airpod into ear. (then try playing other music on Mac)

7. VOILA! you will hear 2 different music on each airpod/ear!! AirPods is now connected to 2 devices concurrently!!

ENJOY1! 🙂

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2018 11:50 PM in response to vrc0503

Yes. One AirPod connected to iPhone, another airpod connected to Macbook.

1. turn on bluetooth on iPhone, turn off bluetooth on Mac.

2. Insert one airpod into your ear, keep the other airpod in case.

3. connect first airpod to iPhone (then try playing some music)

4. turn on bluetooth on Mac

5. on Mac, click connect to airpods

6. immediately open case and insert 2nd airpod into ear. (then try playing other music on Mac)

7. VOILA! you will hear 2 different music on each airpod/ear!! AirPods is now connected to 2 devices concurrently!!

ENJOY1! 🙂

May 14, 2018 12:53 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

The AirPods most definitely do not seem to do that. Please do not spread misinformation. The AirPods do not allow seamless automatic switching of playback between two devices. They need to be manually selected as the output from the second device. There are other Bluetooth earphones that do not require this manual selection. You just hit play on the second device and that’s it.

Jul 3, 2018 11:20 AM in response to mrbasil

100% agree. Absolutely lame. My Bose headphones switch audio sources seamlessly (i.e., multiple Bluetooth connections simultaneously) and it's amazing. I am listening to music on my MacBook. If I get a call on my iPhone (and answer it), Bose knows to stop the music on the laptop and switch to the call on the iPhone. When the call ends, Bose switches back to the music on the laptop. Manual switching with the AirPods is extremely annoying.

Jun 20, 2018 4:54 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I have had a set of LG wireless earphones for 3 years and I have always connected them simultaneously through BT to my iphone6 and Samsung Note4. I will get a call on the Iphone and later on on the Note and the earphones will remain connected to both at all times. I can only take one call at a time from either phone. Before getting my Airpods I purchased the Bose Airplay wireless earphones, they also connect to both phones every time. I heard the good and the bad about the Airpods and so far the bad absolutely overwhelms the good. I think Apple Airpods are just behind the competition.

Jul 26, 2018 3:02 PM in response to zfJames

“all you have to do” means it’s not seamless. With Bose QC35you do nothing. Your pair them to your iPhone and Mac once. From then on you turn on the headphones, they connect to both devices, and that’s it. You’re listening to music on your Mac and a call comes in via your iPhone ? No problem. The answer the call and the music from the Mac stops. iPhone call ends? No problem. Music from the Mac resumes playing. That is seamless.

Mar 9, 2018 2:16 PM in response to vrc0503

Can't be done. Sorry... :/ AirPods don't accept multiple Bluetooth connections at the same time because they couldn't handle the possible scenarios that would result. What if you were playing music on both devices at the same time? AirPods aren't designed to handle multiple inputs... Again, you don't have to use Bluetooth every time. You can just use AirPlay, which is available from your iTunes menu in your Mac or the Music app on your iPhone (along with several other locations): How to AirPlay audio - Apple Support

Aug 3, 2018 9:23 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hello Lawrence Finch - This is not the case. I just bought the AirPods and will return them because my Bose QC35 allow me to listen to Spotify while working on MacBook Pro, then answer a call when my iPhone rings on that. Sadly, I bought these so I dont have to mess up my hair during meeting days.... but they aren't as impressive and the Bose QC35s, just had to pick my phone up in Starbucks. Yes first world problems but if Apple is maker of all devices you think they would have a hand off more clear, Bose got it figured out.

Mar 9, 2018 2:16 PM in response to vrc0503

vrc0503 wrote:

I have to go to my mac book pro and then connect them. So apparently the connection on the iphone is lost. So in case i want to use it back i have to go to the bluetooth and then connect them. Is there a solution to stay connected in all devices at same time.

This is not possible with any Bluetooth device from any manufacturer. A BT device can only be connected to one "master" at a time. The AirPods will remain connected to the last device they connected to, unless that device is not within range; this is a small improvement over most other BT devices; if you were using the AirPods with your Mac, and the Mac was out of range, they will connect to your phone.

Aug 21, 2018 10:15 AM in response to SocalLa

Plantronics Voyageur Edge will also connect to multiple devices. Unfortunately, they are also pretty flaky. My wife and I have been through IIRC four of them between us. I just bought a set of Airpods to replace my flaky Edge (where flaky = sound quality on calls is sometimes really poor and it frequently drops the bluetooth connection even if the phone is right in my pocket; sometimes it comes right back, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the Edge doesn't even tell me it lost the connection).

My opinion so far of the Airpods is that I never thought something made of hard plastic could be this comfortable, and the sound quality is great. A couple of downsides are that they don't have buttons and don't natively understand voice commands, which are strengths of the Edge. OTOH, it's not unusual to have to tell the Edge "Answer" two or three times when I get a call, louder each time. Sometimes, I just have to push the button. I know you can use Siri for some voice command stuff, such as changing volume, but buttons are really better for that and I prefer a dedicated button to tapping twice on the Airpod to answer a call. Haven't yet looked into how to mute a call, if that can be done. On-ear detection is much better with Airpods; with the Edge, I just disabled it because it was so unreliable. I have not yet had an Airpod in my ear for as long as I have used the Edge (all day, when on a road trip; I use Google Maps to second-guess my RV GPS) so that jury is still out, but so far so good on comfort.

In short, I would say that there is no perfect headset. The Edge has a feature set totally oriented toward taking calls and because of that, is superior to Airpods as a call-centric device. However, since the Edge is so unreliable, that places it below Airpods overall. For things other than calls, the Edge has decent sound quality (not as good as Airpods), but its weakness is that it's in one ear only.

My overall opinion is that if the Edge were as reliable as Airpods (of course, all four of them were reliable in the beginning, so time will tell) it would be the best bluetooth phone device in the world, by far. It's also pretty good as a runner's ear piece (I don't use headphones when running, I always want one ear unimpaired; cars), but since it isn't, Airpods are currently in pole position for me.

Aug 21, 2018 11:15 AM in response to andresfrompr

Yeah, my Jabra Move headset is the same. I was surprised. I picked up a pair of Sony headphones. I love the audio quality of them, but the connection is a pain. It's worse even than AirPods because I can't just go in and connect the device I want to use, I first have to disconnect the last device (at least when using it on my iPad and iPhone). It's a real pain.

Sep 23, 2018 12:58 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hmm… I know at least one device, LG Tone Active BT earphones (a friend owns one, model HBS-850), that can connect to two devices simultaneously. You cannot listen from both at the same time, but you can, for example, connect it to your phone as master device and then to your TV set/computer/etc.: you can be listening to your TV, then the phone rings and the earphone changes automatically to the phone.

That would be EXTREMELY useful with the AirPods: I work a lot of time in front of a computer and I need a different pair of earphones for it because AirPods cannot do that.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

AirPods connecting to Multiple Devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.