Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: re. Outlook and iCloud

I recently installed iCloud on my MacBook Pro and it has wreaked havoc with my Outlook folders.

1. I now have a half dozen backups of pst files. When I try to delete these files and folders I get a message telling me that I need to rebuild my Office database using the Database Utility. If I try to do that I get a message saying that it cannot rebuild the database

Here's the message I get: "

The Office database stores your personal information, such as the Scrapbook and Outlook messages and contacts. To continue, click Rebuild. After the rebuilding process is complete, close the Database Utility. Then the database will be available for your Office applications."

2. I now have dozens of extraneous contacts folders from prior back ups and I can't get to the needed contacts folders without scrolling through those unneeded back up versions.I have had difficulty deleting those folders - as above.

3. I tried to send an email with an attachment (photo) from my hard drive. It won't send the message with that attachment though it will do so with others.

I get a popup that says "Message could not be sent"

Help on these problems would be much appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

It should be drag and drop if they don't sync back by themselves. iCloud is a syncing service, not an external hard drive.

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 9:02 AM in response to njrnjr In response to njrnjr

What does this have to do with iCloud for Mac?

My best guess is that you have your Outlook database in a synced iCloud folder and that the syncing is damaging it - like the Photos library it may not be able to be on a synced volume

LN

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Mar 10, 2018 9:02 AM in response to njrnjr In response to njrnjr

What does this have to do with iCloud for Mac?

My best guess is that you have your Outlook database in a synced iCloud folder and that the syncing is damaging it - like the Photos library it may not be able to be on a synced volume

LN

Mar 10, 2018 9:02 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 10, 2018 9:27 AM in response to LarryHN In response to LarryHN

This seems to have worked. I now have ONE set of contacts. One set of calendars. Yay.

BUT NOW ALL MY DOCUMENTS AND DESKTOP FOLDERS HAVE DISAPPEARED. ALL of them.

Sorry to shout but I am worried.

There are iCloud archive folders in my home directory but I do NOT want to touch them until I know what I am doing.

I ran (I think ) the Database rebuild, at least twice. It seemed to have sort of worked though it took forever and I kept getting a popup asking me what folders I wanted to synch and whether I wanted to archive my folders (to which I said yes). I believe that when I said I wanted to synch folders, I only synched the desktop \ Documents folders.

Please help!!!!

Mar 10, 2018 9:27 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 1:11 PM in response to njrnjr In response to njrnjr

Go to iCloud.com using a computer and select Settings. When that page loads, look at the bottom left side under Advanced and see if you can restore from there.

How to Recover Files, Contacts, Calendars and Reminders in iCloud

Mar 10, 2018 1:11 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 10, 2018 1:23 PM in response to Eric Root In response to Eric Root

So this is a very useful strategy for files that I may have deleted, and I am glad to know that it exists. But it isn't quite the answer I needed.

With some help from someone more knowledgeable about the Apple than me, I have located the folders in the home drive under the title iCloud (archive 4) . I opened this file and can see the whole directory tree and can open individual files there. And it appears to be a fairly recent form of backup. SO it appears that my work has not completely evaporated. Whew!

But these files and folders do not appear under the iCloud heading in Finder where there should be two populated folders: "Desktop" and "Documents". There should be folders under each one but there are not.

Now my friend has suggested that there may not be sufficient room on the hard drive to populate them there and they may be resident in the cloud only until I can free up adequate space. And if I remove enough pictures etc to make space, I should see them repopulate the disk drive

That would make sense since I have been getting popups saying that my disk is nearly full. I have off-loaded 18G of picture files to a flash drive but will need to off-load some other files to make enough room for the Documents and Desktop files as a whole which comprise 42G of space.

However, if these files reside in the cloud, why are they requiring so much space on the disk drive?

And how do I ensure that if I clear sufficient space on the Hard disk Drive, I can copy them onto the disk drive safely? Is it a drag and drop or cut and paste operation?

Mar 10, 2018 1:23 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 3:02 PM in response to Eric Root In response to Eric Root

Got it. That's helpful...But one last observation \ question

This started when I went to Outlook on the Mac, and there were folders and files from prior backups in my Deleted folder. When I tried to get rid of them, I got a popup telling me that I needed to rebuild the Microsoft database. When I tried to do that it failed. Several times.

Now when I look at my Outlook, there are no extraneous "deleted" folders needing to be trashed. Yay.

I assume this is because I no longer have my mail and calendars and contacts synched. Is that right?

I would like to be able to synch across my PC and my MacBookPro so I don't have to reenter contact info etc. But it isn't worth the hassle I just went through. Is it possible to synch these folders in Outlook or only if I use Safari?

Thanks for the guidance here. You saved my mental health and well-being.

Mar 10, 2018 3:02 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 3:31 PM in response to njrnjr In response to njrnjr

You are welcome. I haven't used Outlook before, so I'm not certain what you can do with it. Hopefully someone who knows/uses Outlook can provide the answers. If necessary start a new post with that as the topic. I wouldn't want to cause problems by giving you the wrong answer.

Mar 10, 2018 3:31 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: njrnjr

Question: re. Outlook and iCloud