Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: macOS high sierra 10.13.3 messages out of order

I am running macOS 10.13.3 on a late 2012 MacBook Pro 13" with Retina display. In Messages two old message threads stay pinned at the top. I do not want to delete these important threads. All other message threads show chronologically correctly. These message threads are displaying correctly on my iPhones. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Hi Ralph,

I went back into the message threads and found that I had two copies of the offending threads. One was way down the list in proper chronological order, and the other was "pinned" at the top. I deleted the pinned threads, leaving the chronological ones in place. The problem now appears to be solved. Thank you for your help with this.

Best regards,

David

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 10, 2018 12:51 PM in response to David Angress In response to David Angress

Hi,

Can I be clear ?

You are not saying that individual iMessages or SMS items are out of order but that the Side Bar is Out of Order with Threads with new iMessages are not moving to the top ?

IF it is the Side Bar try the View Menu > Sort Conversations

Change it from what it is to something else and then back again.

User uploaded file

8:51 pm Saturday; March 10, 2018

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

Mar 10, 2018 12:51 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 11, 2018 1:00 PM in response to David Angress In response to David Angress

Hi,

If you open up one of those conversations and mouse over the last few iMessages one at a time and hold over each long enough to see the individual Time Codes do you see anything odd about the Dates/Times ?

If you Sort between Manual and Timed the list should change.

If going back to Timed means these stay at the top then something about the iMessages is causing that.

User uploaded file

8:00 pm Sunday; March 11, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 11, 2018 1:00 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 12, 2018 9:21 AM in response to Ralph Johns (UK) In response to Ralph Johns (UK)

Hi Ralph,

Thanks again for your follow up. I have checked the date/time stamps on every message in both problem threads. Nothing seems odd. Remember, my iPhones don't have this problem. These threads are positioned correctly on those devices.

I have changed between manual and timed sort several times -- no change. I may have to simply deleter these threads, although that isn't my preference.

This issue began under High Sierra 10.13.2. I had hoped that the update to .3 would fix the problem. Unfortunately, here we are.

Mar 12, 2018 9:21 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 12, 2018 12:49 PM in response to David Angress In response to David Angress

HI,

I have not found out if the iMessages come with a Date/time code embedded with them of whether the OS/Messages gives them a Time Code as they arrive on the Mac.

If it is the second then they could be different to the ones on the iPhone.

Of course if the "Stuck" items are made manual and moved down the list and then the app closed.

When the app is reopened and changed back to Date for the Sort then it might highlight is something about the thread rather than individual iMessages within it are the cause.

I am not sure how we would sort that right at this minute.

User uploaded file

7:47 pm Monday; March 12, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 12, 2018 12:49 PM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Solved

Mar 12, 2018 1:49 PM in response to Ralph Johns (UK) In response to Ralph Johns (UK)

Hi Ralph,

I went back into the message threads and found that I had two copies of the offending threads. One was way down the list in proper chronological order, and the other was "pinned" at the top. I deleted the pinned threads, leaving the chronological ones in place. The problem now appears to be solved. Thank you for your help with this.

Best regards,

David

Mar 12, 2018 1:49 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 12, 2018 2:33 PM in response to David Angress In response to David Angress

Humm,

Odd.

Not heard of that before.

Glad to hear you have found a solution though.

User uploaded file

9:33 pm Monday; March 12, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 12, 2018 2:33 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: David Angress

Question: macOS high sierra 10.13.3 messages out of order