Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Why does itunes keep trying to make a new backup when I already have one?

Question. in my backups folder, \AppData\Roaming\iTunes\MobileSync\Backups, I have one backup. I was on ios 9.2.1 on my iphone 6 for years and backup to my pc. Every few weeks I back up to my pc and it uses that one backup listed. So, for ex, if I backed up 2 weeks ago, and then say backed up today, it would only take say 10 min to backup, because in 2 weeks I haven't added much data.

Ok, so a week ago my phone updated to IOS 11. Now when I backup in itunes it keeps trying to make a new 2nd backup folder. This is a 128 gig phone, and I want it to use the same backup it was. DOES it automatically make a new backup when you update the firmware on the device??? Just trying to save time and don't want it to keep making a new backup. A new backup since my phone is almost full will take an hour or more.

I have one device, that's it.

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 9, 2018 5:44 PM in response to jasonb b In response to jasonb b

It makes sens iTunes would want to create a new backup. When you were on iOS9, most everything on your phone was 32 bit. iOS11 re-indexed everything on your phone to 64 bit architecture and with the newer version of iTunes 12.7.3, the old backup would likely be useless as you move forward.

Mar 9, 2018 5:44 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 9, 2018 8:30 PM in response to rbrylawski In response to rbrylawski

Ok, thanks. While I have you here, It's an iphone 6 that worked flawlessly on 9.2.1. It accidentally was updated to 11.2 and now runs horrible, opening text messages is 50/50 instant, or takes 3+ seconds and hangs.. Many have said an iphone 6s, since it has double the ram would fix this. Somewhat true?

Mar 9, 2018 8:30 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 9, 2018 9:33 PM in response to jasonb b In response to jasonb b

Sure a newer phone with more ram will work better on iOS 11. Chances are though, your battery is aging and Apple is offering battery replacement for iPhone 6 and higher for $29, which will likely return your phone to faster speed.

Mar 9, 2018 9:33 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: jasonb b

Question: Why does itunes keep trying to make a new backup when I already have one?