Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How about documenting how to downgrade from that High Sierra abysmal failure?????

This OS is a nightmare... How about a simple way to get back to what works? Downgrade to El Capitan or even older.... What a shame....

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 9:11 PM

20 replies

Mar 10, 2018 11:48 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

I disagree. At work, my 2015 iMac is loaded only with Apple software as we're not allowed to use even a third party browsers or Microsoft office. It's all Apple software and hardware. The machine has 16GB and my job is little more than data entry and spreadsheet manipulation (for which Numbers is absolutely abysmal compared to Excel), and the machine is constantly freezing with basic tasks such as launching Safari, even while holding shift to not reopen any previous tabs. I regularly clear history and caches and it doesn't help. It crashes when opening built in apps such as calendar and notes. It's utterly ridiculous how buggy and slow it is. It also has a 1TB hd with over 950GB of free space and thankfully is not also plagued by the notorious system fill up. It even freezes while switch between just three open apps using mission control as I prefer not to use extra monitors or desktops. There is indeed something systemically wrong with High Sierra.

Mar 10, 2018 4:32 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Sorry, not gonna happen. That's my at work computer on which everything is monitored and I don't have the permissions to install anything on. Just telling you that's my experience and that computer has NO third party software on it aside from the necessary plugins that everyone uses such as Java and flash. It's pretty sad that a $2000 machine runs slower and less reliably than my 7 year old $400 Windows laptop with a fraction of the ram.

Mar 10, 2018 4:51 PM in response to panchososa694

panchososa694 wrote:

I sure would, if they cared about anyone else's opinion. Their unsolicited idea policy tells me all I need to know about their opinions on feedback.

Feedback and unsolicited ideas are two different things. Apple appears quite interested in your feedback about the product you're using. They do not, however, want to deal with the legal issues of you suggesting some great new piece of software that they should buy and develop. If they didn't want feedback, why would they bother to create a feedback page? Why would they make changes that are pretty clearly based on the feedback they receive?

Mar 10, 2018 4:59 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Because it gives the appearance that you care and that seems to be enough to keep selling. The only thing they've seemed to budge on over the years is DRM music. To me, while macOS is certainly very visually pleasing and in most cases easy to pick up and use, it lacks productivity potential without the use of third party software. As I mentioned, my work computer does not even have Microsoft office and stuck with numbers as my main work platform. While it's visual simplicity is pleasing to the eye, it's absolutely terrible for work flow and things that are easily found in Excel are a chore to find in numbers. Look at iOS it was definitely pretty innovative and revolutionary at first, but it's long since lost that since about version 3. Your opinions/experience may be different, but that doesn't invalidate mine. They only care about feedback that would/result in legal action (such as the iPhone batteries, even though to me they didn't need to do what they did and it's been blown way out of proportion).

Mar 10, 2018 5:07 PM in response to panchososa694

panchososa694 wrote:

Because it gives the appearance that you care and that seems to be enough to keep selling. The only thing they've seemed to budge on over the years is DRM music. To me, while macOS is certainly very visually pleasing and in most cases easy to pick up and use, it lacks productivity potential without the use of third party software. As I mentioned, my work computer does not even have Microsoft office and stuck with numbers as my main work platform. While it's visual simplicity is pleasing to the eye, it's absolutely terrible for work flow and things that are easily found in Excel are a chore to find in numbers. Look at iOS it was definitely pretty innovative and revolutionary at first, but it's long since lost that since about version 3. Your opinions/experience may be different, but that doesn't invalidate mine. They only care about feedback that would/result in legal action (such as the iPhone batteries, even though to me they didn't need to do what they did and it's been blown way out of proportion).

It was a rhetorical question. Apple may be interested in your feedback but, I'm not.

Mar 10, 2018 5:39 PM in response to panchososa694

EtreCheck requires no permission to download or run. It should be run from an Administrator account though.

If your Mac is not yours to own and control though, your stated desire to downgrade it to a preceding macOS version is a moot point. You need Admin-level permission to do that. So I am confused by the whole point of your Discussion—what exactly do you wish to accomplish?

Mar 10, 2018 6:16 PM in response to panchososa694

panchososa694 wrote:

I stated no such desire to downgrade or modify it. That was the OP's goal. I merely was sharing my experience to contrast the opinion that there is nothing systemically wrong with HS.

Actually, all your anecdote establishes is that two people are having a problem. It does not establish that there is a systemic problem with High Sierra.

How about documenting how to downgrade from that High Sierra abysmal failure?????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.