Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Endless Reboot Loop

Without success, all start up options have been exhausted; safe mode, NVRAM reset, SCM, Internet recovery and disk utility/first aid.

My last few run throughs involved using fsck -fy, in single user mode, still no success... I did notice that "volume error 5" generated, yet I haven't been able to find out what it may be referring to.

*In a forum somewhere I noticed that another user mentioned 'League of Legends' could be the potential reason for my issue.

I tried to locate a step-by-step guide to deleting the file in single user mode and even through terminal, my attempts continue to return with file not found... Does anyone have any guidance or an idea of what I could do to resolve my issue?

I purchased this MacBook Pro from a military instillation 14 months ago and falls outside of warranty, I don't have time machine back-up, Im not the brightest bulb in the box when it comes to software use and at this moment have nothing backed up. My computer shouldn't be having any of these issues, I only use it to type papers and for League... which I haven't played in 2 months. Thanks in advance,

Amber

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11.6

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 10:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 12:43 PM

So, your machine will boot in single user mode.

Safe mode does not work [ i.e. results in you being able to user your machine. ]

It seems to be a software issue. Seems like something has gotten corrupted with your startup files.

This good news is that you can use single user mode to recover your data.

Im not the brightest bulb in the box when it comes to software use

You have done more diagnostic work than most.

and at this moment have nothing backed up.

Tisk. 😢

Do you have backup? if no, and you need to recover your data. See next post.

You could buy a external drive. Install macos on it and copy over your data. Clone back to internal drive.

It best to have your data backed up twice or thrice.

I'd use single user mode to copy over your critical data to a flash drive.

I suggest you get an external harddrive and backup your startup disk.

I'd give OWC a call. 1-815-338-8685.

I recently bought Toshiba 2.5 harddrive & OWC external drive enclosure 0gb Mercury Elite Pro USB 3.0

Apple's Time Machine

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Carbon Copy Cloner will copy your startup drive to an external firewire drive. You can boot from the external drive to verify that you have a good clone. When you upgrade your existing startup drive, you can at any time boot from your external drive and go back to your existing system.

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

SuperDuper is the wildly acclaimed program that makes recovery painless, because it makes creating a fully bootable backup painless. Its incredibly clear, friendly interface is understandable, easy to use, and SuperDuper's built-in scheduler makes it trivial to back up automatically. And it runs beautifully on both Intel and Power PC Macs!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2018 12:43 PM in response to acoley11

So, your machine will boot in single user mode.

Safe mode does not work [ i.e. results in you being able to user your machine. ]

It seems to be a software issue. Seems like something has gotten corrupted with your startup files.

This good news is that you can use single user mode to recover your data.

Im not the brightest bulb in the box when it comes to software use

You have done more diagnostic work than most.

and at this moment have nothing backed up.

Tisk. 😢

Do you have backup? if no, and you need to recover your data. See next post.

You could buy a external drive. Install macos on it and copy over your data. Clone back to internal drive.

It best to have your data backed up twice or thrice.

I'd use single user mode to copy over your critical data to a flash drive.

I suggest you get an external harddrive and backup your startup disk.

I'd give OWC a call. 1-815-338-8685.

I recently bought Toshiba 2.5 harddrive & OWC external drive enclosure 0gb Mercury Elite Pro USB 3.0

Apple's Time Machine

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Carbon Copy Cloner will copy your startup drive to an external firewire drive. You can boot from the external drive to verify that you have a good clone. When you upgrade your existing startup drive, you can at any time boot from your external drive and go back to your existing system.

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

SuperDuper is the wildly acclaimed program that makes recovery painless, because it makes creating a fully bootable backup painless. Its incredibly clear, friendly interface is understandable, easy to use, and SuperDuper's built-in scheduler makes it trivial to back up automatically. And it runs beautifully on both Intel and Power PC Macs!

Mar 10, 2018 12:43 PM in response to rccharles

see: backing up from the command line via single user mode. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8101803?answerId=32357328022#32357328022 [ This is a little cryptic. I need to revise. ] You may try to recover your data by booting up in single user mode.

You could try getting into the Unix command line interface and copy some files or directories. You can copy files on the Unix command line interface if you placed the flash drive the USB port before powering on your machine.

0) you best have the flash drive formatted for the Mac. You may want to use Dos format if you need to look at the files on a windows machine. Dos format will be ok for word files etc. See disk utility. It's on the pull down.
1) You can copy files on the Unix command line interface if you placed the flash drive in a USB port before powering on your machine.
2) Boot up to single user mode.

ditto  -X -rsrc "/SSD/Users/raste/Desktop/Outlook Festival" /Volumes/thumb

The ditto command will copy one folder/directory to another folder/directory.

"/SSD/Users/raste/Desktop/Outlook Festival" from here.

/Volumes/thumb to here.

do a ls -l /Volumes to see a list of all your volumes. You should see the name of the source and target volumes. You need to use.

You should verify that the files have been copied correctly by trying them in another Mac before it the deleting the original.

Here is an overview of the commands.

Unix Navigation Commands

Endless Reboot Loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.