Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: External WD Passport Drive loses write permissions

Using Sierra 10.12.6

My WD Passport 4TB external drive Mac OS (journaled) drops write permissions for unknown reasons. I have read many forum solutions. They only address the NTFS problem. I have assigned Administrator and myself as Read & Write only to find they go away every morning when I wake up the computer

I then assigned "Ignore Ownership" to the drive but it disappears too! I have had the drive for about 6 months and this started about a week ago. I have used a couple drive analyzer apps and they all report no issues 100% health.I have to go through this daily. My energy settings are:
Turn display off after 3 hours - check

Put hard disks to sleep when possible - check
Prevent computer from sleeping automatically - check

Wake for network access - check
Startup auto after power failure - NO
Enable Power Nap - NO

Thank you, Rob

User uploaded file

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), null

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 10, 2018 7:44 PM in response to Eric Root In response to Eric Root

I have not contacted WD. Why do you think it is a drive and not a software issue? I have run a couple drive analyzer apps and run first aid with Apple Disk Utilities that show no issues. What would I tell WD?

Thank you Eric, Rob

Mar 10, 2018 7:44 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 11, 2018 3:02 AM in response to streamer201 In response to streamer201

It is not about drive vs. software, but about making use of their support staff while the product is still eligible for service. After this initial support-lifespan, the manufacturer/distributor/seller doesn’t have to help you anymore.

Mar 11, 2018 3:02 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: streamer201

Question: External WD Passport Drive loses write permissions