Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Why doesn't iOS have a back button? I have used Android for years, but finally got iPhone 6 plus. Mostly like but for two sorry limitations. No back button km aps and the worst of poor keynote. Further the keyboards have no back arrow.

Why not show some imagination, mam3 your phones user friendly.

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 3:59 PM in response to Kurt Lang In response to Kurt Lang

Somewhat of a correction.

If you're using Safari in horizontal mode, then you have to tap the top of the screen to get the < and > icons to appear. In vertical mode, they always show at the bottom of the screen.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Mar 10, 2018 9:31 AM in response to 4Wheelerbob In response to 4Wheelerbob

Because its generally not needed. Going back is exclusively an internal App function and as such is implemented within the App by its developers as required by the app context, and current situation.

The iPhone has been a single button device since its inception over 10 years ago. (and now removed from the iPhone X) Its flow and design was explicitly conceived as such.

If you require a physical back button, then you are doing something wrong. The App and its flow should provide for a way to go back within the App if there is somewhere to go back to.

Not sure how imaginative it would be to have the same button layout as every other smartphone out there.

As to the keyboard, it has no arrow keys period. If you need to move the cursor around there are ways to do this, a back button is not one of them.

As said, perhaps dropping the preconceptions of Android and learning how the iPhone does things instead of expecting it to work like an Android device would be a better option.

Mar 10, 2018 9:31 AM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 3:59 PM in response to Kurt Lang In response to Kurt Lang

Somewhat of a correction.

If you're using Safari in horizontal mode, then you have to tap the top of the screen to get the < and > icons to appear. In vertical mode, they always show at the bottom of the screen.

Mar 10, 2018 3:59 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 10, 2018 4:05 PM in response to rbrylawski In response to rbrylawski

It would be easier to make a keyboard user friendly. I have built and repaired computers for over 50 years and find Apple phone to be the least user friendly of any technology I have used. Windows, unixZenix, Android, Samsung, IBM,, and many others.

Mar 10, 2018 4:05 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 4:19 PM in response to 4Wheelerbob In response to 4Wheelerbob

Then why are you bothering? Go buy something that suits your needs. It is what it is. No one here can change it. Whining about it on these forums won't change anything. How long you've been building and repairing computers is completely irrelevant.

Mar 10, 2018 4:19 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 4:26 PM in response to Phil0124 In response to Phil0124

A properly designed IS does not leave a necessary function up to an app writer. I have been working on computers for better than 50 years and have seen most of what has been built hardware and software and that is a poor approach to an IS.

Mar 10, 2018 4:26 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 4:35 PM in response to 4Wheelerbob In response to 4Wheelerbob

Your opinion of the way iOS works is irrelevant. This is a technical support forum. Not a place for you to rant about how you think Apple should have done it.

If you're so good, design your own and sell it on the open market.

Mar 10, 2018 4:35 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 5:30 PM in response to 4Wheelerbob In response to 4Wheelerbob

4Wheelerbob wrote:

It would be easier to make a keyboard user friendly. I have built and repaired computers for over 50 years and find Apple phone to be the least user friendly of any technology I have used. Windows, unixZenix, Android, Samsung, IBM,, and many others.

I’ve been using computers professionally since punched card mainframes in the early-1980’s. I use and have used various UNIX’s, IRIX, Linux, MS-DOS, Windows, Apple OS, OS X, and several mobile phone and table OS’s. I’ve been using iOS for 9 years.

I completely disagree with your opinion about the user friendliness of iOS.

Mar 10, 2018 5:30 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: 4Wheelerbob

Question: Why doesn't iOS have a back button? I have used Android for years, but finally got iPhone 6 plus. Mostly like but for two sorry limitations. No back button km aps and the worst of poor keynote. Further the keyboards have no back arrow.