Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to change aspect ratio in imovie 13

This was my question, and I found the perfect answer deep in the "other" responses by someone called macintoschforever. He gave the perfect, simple answer and his post should be brought to the top of that discussion for all the other 330+ people asking that question for the newer versions of imovie. He says if you want to keep your original 4:3 clip aspect ratio instead of the default 16:9 ratio, with your project open click on the "crop" icon above the monitor window and choose "fit". I tried it and it works perfectly. It does not crop the video to fit but brings the full frame up (which leaves black areas on both sides because the monitor window is set for wide screen, but that is just part of the deal). It is a much better solution than cropping your 4:3 movie to fit widescreen by cutting off the top and bottom of the picture.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), Other OS, OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 1:04 PM

Thanks for posting. Yes, that's the standard way of doing it, although you do get black bars. If you don't like the black bars you can insert the 4:3 movie as a Picture in Picture over a different color background or over a photo. Personally, I would rather crop if the integrity of the clip can be preserved. Matter of preference.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2018 1:04 PM in response to Tomsaker

Thanks for posting. Yes, that's the standard way of doing it, although you do get black bars. If you don't like the black bars you can insert the 4:3 movie as a Picture in Picture over a different color background or over a photo. Personally, I would rather crop if the integrity of the clip can be preserved. Matter of preference.

-- Rich

how to change aspect ratio in imovie 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.