Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

help needed. on some safari searches I get error report

Here is the latest

HTTP Status 500 - Request processing failed; nested exception is java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1

type Exception report

message Request processing failed; nested exception is java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1

description The server encountered an internal error that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletException: Request processing failed; nested exception is java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1 org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:978) org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doGet(FrameworkServlet.java:857) javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:624) org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.service(FrameworkServlet.java:842) javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:731) org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52) com.mindspark.search.service.spam.SpamFilter.doFilter(SpamFilter.java:108) org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:344) org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:261) com.mindspark.service.analytics.web.LoggingFilter.doFilter(LoggingFilter.java:93) org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:344) org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:261) com.mindspark.search.dune.util.IpAddressLookupFilter.doFilter(IpAddressLookupFilter.java:55) org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:344) org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:261) com.mindspark.util.logbackutil.web.LogbackMDCFilter.doFilter(LogbackMDCFilter.java:58) com.mindspark.search.dune.util.logbackutil.DuneLogbackMDCFilter.doFilter(DuneLogbackMDCFilter.java:68) org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:344) org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:261)

root cause

java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1 java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1967) com.mindspark.search.dune.request.state.State$StateBuilder.deriveRelatedSearchType(State.java:296) com.mindspark.search.dune.request.DirectivesManager.execute(DirectivesManager.java:134) com.mindspark.search.dune.service.DirectivesService.getState(DirectivesService.java:32) com.mindspark.search.dune.handler.SearchHandler.handleRequest(SearchHandler.java:45) com.mindspark.search.dune.handler.SearchHandler$$FastClassBySpringCGLIB$$a4fca50e.invoke(<

What on earth does it mean and what do I need to do to get back to normal where all my searches on SAFARI come up with a list of web pages to click on?

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 7:34 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Mar 12, 2018 3:58 AM in response to ShebbDen

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later. Please post if this worked or not.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer or by using the developer’s uninstall instructions. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once. Please post if this worked or not.

Safe Mode - About El Capitan
also Sierra

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan. also Sierra

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. You can run the report for free at least once, but if you run it several times, at some point it will ask you to pay a license fee.

Etrecheck – System Information

Mar 10, 2018 2:32 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn. That didn't work. Not only that but when I tried to click on the reply box the webpage disappeared and took me to the general communities (what is probably the home page). Although now I can click on reply after trying several times, and it is letting me do so.......strange.

I opened a new tab and typed Austin in the search box at the top of the page to do a normal search and get the error report:- The tab is headed Apache Tomcat/7.0.75 - Error report

HTTP Status 500 - Request processing failed; nested exception is java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1

type Exception report

message Request processing failed; nested exception is java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1

description The server encountered an internal error that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletException: Request processing failed; nested exception is java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1 org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:978) org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doGet(FrameworkServlet.java:857) javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:624) org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.service(FrameworkServlet.java:842) javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:731) org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52) com.mindspark.search.service.spam.SpamFilter.doFilter(SpamFilter.java:108) org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:344) org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:261) com.mindspark.service.analytics.web.LoggingFilter.doFilter(LoggingFilter.java:93) org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:344) org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:261) com.mindspark.search.dune.util.IpAddressLookupFilter.doFilter(IpAddressLookupFilter.java:55) org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:344) org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:261) com.mindspark.util.logbackutil.web.LogbackMDCFilter.doFilter(LogbackMDCFilter.java:58) com.mindspark.search.dune.util.logbackutil.DuneLogbackMDCFilter.doFilter(DuneLogbackMDCFilter.java:68) org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:344) org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:261)

root cause

java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1 java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1967) com.mindspark.search.dune.request.state.State$StateBuilder.deriveRelatedSearchType(State.java:296) com.mindspark.search.dune.request.DirectivesManager.execute(DirectivesManager.java:134) com.mindspark.search.dune.service.Direct

Mar 12, 2018 4:01 AM in response to Eric Root

I set up another admin account (eventually as am novice and had to do much reading) Was asked if wanted to add Norton security extension to SAFARI and I declined. Tested by doing a search and got the usual list of search items so it worked ok.

Then added the Norton to safari extensions and did a search and got the error report. So looks like Norton Security is causing the problem........but why? there has been no problem with the set up until the day I started this HELP request!! i.e.previously with Norton Security fully set up and the Norton Security Extension added to Safari.

I also noticed that with the new account the desktop picture was different.....a pretty lake in foreground with colourful hills behind, whereas my original admin account has the mountain (Yellowstone?) I use the notebook daily so believe the OS is up to date....Mac OS high Sierra 10.13.3

Also when clicking on the reply box I had the same problem as above with Carolyn where I was taken to the home (welcome?) page rather than just getting a reply box. Somehow I have managed to get back to this discussion and clicking on Reply now seems to work.

Mar 12, 2018 4:15 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks your help Eric. Now we have found way round the error problem but still don't know why it suddenly started happening. Perhaps an auto update to Norton or safari.

Also am still wondering why a different desktop picture for the second account......would have thought that as I was using the same Mac OS the same picture of mountain would have come up??

So frustrating being a novice......sometimes many hours spent on sorting things out....and age related deteriorating memory does not help. My background is electronics fixing and operating many rather sophisticated equipments down to component level so hence big frustrations. I am now more of an expert on my Classic car.....Reliant Scimitar....and spend much time advising and helping other owners so appreciate time involved.

Dennis

help needed. on some safari searches I get error report

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.