Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP X Crashes when importing

Using version 10.4 for the first time in quite a while and running into issues importing media.

1. Copied "Private" folder from an SD card to my hard drive (keeping file structure intact)
  2. Selected several clips to import and selected "Start Import" copying clips to a new folder for the editing phase
  3. FCP stalled - wouldn't import. Looked at the background tasks and nothing was happening
  4. If I click the "X" to stop the import, FCP crashes

Anyone have any ideas? Is this a known issue? Am I doing something wrong (I'm following the same routine I've used in the past)?

Thanks,

Carl

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 3.2 GHz Quad-Core, 12 GB RAM

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 10:29 AM

But why the private bundle? Why not archive the whole card, which has always been the recommended method?

What’s the media exactly? Where’s it come from? Some cameras are having problems in the current version.

12 replies

Mar 10, 2018 10:26 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I am copying the entire private bundle to my hard drive from an SD card (think backup of my media). When I import from FCP I import from the backup. Once assured everything imports correctly I can then reuse the SD card. That's a practice I've followed since I went to recording on SD media.

As for my system - it's a MacPro mid 2012 with 12 Gb RAM running High Sierra. For purposes of this discussion I have two internal hard drives, both WD Black 2 Tb - one for system files, apps and documents, the second solely for video files. Both are formatted as Mac OS extended.

This is the same configuration I've had for the past few years. The last time I used FCP was last November without any issues. (I did try to import the same clips I used in my last video and FCP crashed.)

Hope that helps.

FCP X Crashes when importing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.