Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Migrating from Aperture to Photos-date problem

Hi,

I have 35K images in Aperture to which I have meticulously added Faces, Places, Keywords, and event dates (as many were scanned from negatives). I recently migrated to Photos by updating the shared datafile. The migration went perfectly for Faces, Places and Keywords. However, I realized that I originally put all the corrected event dates in IPTC, and Photos is only displaying. sorting etc using the EXIF Creation Date (which is primarily the date I scanned the originals).

Is there anyway to cause either Aperture or Photos to overwrite the EXIF date with the IPTC date, or similar? Any suggestons welcome.

Thank you.

Mac Pro

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 11, 2018 3:47 PM in response to BostonBob In response to BostonBob

You embedded the Date&Time data directly into the IPTC tags of the originals, before you imported them to Aperture? I have never done that, so I am not sure what will help in this case.

If Aperture is currently showing the correct dates and times, you could try to migrate Aperture the library again to Photos, but this time use the command "Metadata > Write IPTC to EXIF", before you migrate the library again.

You may test this by exporting a small test library from Aperture. Select just one project, then use "File > Export > Project as new Library" and migrate this project to Photos. are the dates now correct?

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Mar 10, 2018 12:10 PM in response to BostonBob In response to BostonBob

I recently migrated to Photos by updating the shared datafile.

How did you do this? I am not sure, what you did.

The usual way would be to drag the Aperture Library onto the Photos icon, and Photos will create an Aperture Library from the Photos Library.

As far as I can tell, the dates and times I set in Aperture with "Adjust Date and Time" or with "Batch Change: Camera Time and Actual Time" will be transferred correctly, when I migrate the Aperture library to Photos 3.0 on High Sierra. The Info panel in Photos is showing the adjusted time, albeit without the timezone suffix. I have to open the "Adjust Date and Time" panel from the Image menu to see the timezone.

How are you checking the dates and times after the migration to Photos?

Mar 10, 2018 12:10 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 12:20 PM in response to léonie In response to léonie

Hi,

I simply opened the Aperture library with Photos. I think it would work the same if I dragged it as you did. It migrated everything fine except for the Dates. Unfortunately, I did not use the "Adjust Date and Time" or "Batch Change: Camera Time and Actual Time" features to edit dates, which I should have. Instead, I put the correct date in the IPTC metadata. So, the correct date is embedded in the overall metadata for each image, but Photos is ignoring the IPTC date(which makes sense). So, is there a way to get that IPTC date to become the EXIF date, or another solution short of going back and using the "Adjust Date and Time" feature? Thank you.

Mar 10, 2018 12:20 PM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Mar 11, 2018 3:47 PM in response to BostonBob In response to BostonBob

You embedded the Date&Time data directly into the IPTC tags of the originals, before you imported them to Aperture? I have never done that, so I am not sure what will help in this case.

If Aperture is currently showing the correct dates and times, you could try to migrate Aperture the library again to Photos, but this time use the command "Metadata > Write IPTC to EXIF", before you migrate the library again.

You may test this by exporting a small test library from Aperture. Select just one project, then use "File > Export > Project as new Library" and migrate this project to Photos. are the dates now correct?

Mar 11, 2018 3:47 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 12, 2018 2:09 PM in response to léonie In response to léonie

Hi,

That seemed to work with one caveat. After running the Metadata > Write IPTC to EXIF, I noticed some images had the proper date applied to the EXIF while others did not. I discovered that the IPTC dates are all now part of the metadata, but they do not overide the EXIF date until the image re-generates the Preview. I also discovered that my system cannot handle doing this for all the images in batch-to much memory/CPU consumption, so I am doing it Project by Project, which is painful but manageable. If you have any suggestions, much appreciated. Otherwise, I will update the final results soon.

Thank you.

Mar 12, 2018 2:09 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: BostonBob

Question: Migrating from Aperture to Photos-date problem