Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I move boot disk to new MacBook?

I'm replacing my mid 2009 MacBook Pro running Sierra with a mid 2012 MacBook Pro. I would like to transfer my complete current system installation to the new MacBook. Is it possible for me to just move my boot disk from the old MacBook to the new one? This would certainly be the easiest way to do this but I'd like to know if it's possible.

I could take the old disk out and connect it via USB to the new MacBook to see if I can boot from it, but I'm hoping someone has experience trying to do the same thing.

Thanks.

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 12:32 PM

I agree. It should be pretty simple. If you need help with it visit OWC and look for their installation tutorial for replacing a drive in the new computer model. The only special skill you need is how to use a screwdriver. 😎

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 10, 2018 12:22 PM in response to Robert Meushaw

Yes, you can simply swap drives. I would advise not to if the drive in your new computer is a better one than in your old computer and/or has a more recent version of macOS installed. Since both computers have Firewire ports I suggest you connect them via Firewire. You then have a number of options depending on how you want to proceed. You could boot the new computer into Target Disk Mode and boot the old computer normally but from its Recovery HD. You can then use Disk Utility to erase the new computer's drive and then clone your drive. Note that this will only work if the new computer has a drive of equal size larger in blocks than the old computer's drive.

If cloning with Disk Utility won't work then you can use a good backup utility such as Carbon Copy Cloner that can clone one drive to another. You still have to erase the new computer's drive but that can be done using Disk Utility but without having to boot from the Recovery HD.

Mar 10, 2018 12:28 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks. Both machines are currently running Sierra. The disk in my older MacBook is a Crucial SSD which should be significantly faster (although somewhat smaller) than the hard disk in the new MacBook. I currently use Carbon Copy Cloner to make backup copies of the old MacBook. If I got a new SSD for the new MacBook, I would use C3 to make another copy. But I think it would be simplest if I could just install the old MacBook SSD into the new MacBook. I'm getting the impression that I should be able to do this.

Can I move boot disk to new MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.