Question: Mail.app IMAP sync disaster, any way to get messages back?
- I use Mail.app with IMAP, and my email account provided by a hosting company on which I registered my domain.
- My registered domain expired.
- The messages (in Inbox and Sent folders) remained in Mail.app which of course could no longer connect to the IMAP server.
- I bought the domain afresh with the same hosting company.
- I tried several times to copy the contents of my mailboxes on Mail.app to local On My Mac folders in Mail.app, but every time, after a delay, it complained and failed.
- I tried several times to export the mailboxes from Mail.app, but the .mboxes that were created were empty (no messages). So I proceeded without backups.
- I created a mailbox with the same name as before for the domain via my hosting company's control panel for my domain.
- I typed in the new password into Mail.app.
- All my messages in Mail.app instantly disappeared as the IMAP synched! The Inbox on Mail.app contained now only a single "Welcome to your new mailbox" message from my hosting company, and the Sent folder disappeared altogether. (I had hoped the sync would go the other way, and all of my messages from Mail.app would be copied to the server.)
- Is there anywhere on my Mac where all my messages might still reside?
MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)