Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to Full Function 4k screen share with a mac mini that doesn't involve lowering resolution?

I'm about ready to give up trying to integrate my 2014 mac mini into my home theater. The displayed fonts and icons are just too small on my 55" LG Oled. I installed plex and it looks great but the TV is plenty good at media streaming by itself. I was hoping for better web browsing, network connectivity, and basic home pc usage as well, not to mention the horrific DRM Management issues involved with trying to play iTunes video content. It would seem that the mini is a loser when connected to a big screen UHD display.

Can anyone please help me?

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 5g wifii

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 4:46 PM

3 replies

Mar 11, 2018 7:26 PM in response to den.thed

What would be really awesome would be a screen share touchscreen setup to carry around so I could leave the mini in the HT setup and see all the icons on the handheld I'm sure there is some way this could be done but I haven't been fooling around with computers for some years now. I've been living in a very poor internet/cell connectivity area and only recently bullied the local cable internet provider to run service to the house, making a computer a worthwhile investment. Are there screen mirroring devices/apps for iPod or iPad? The problem is connectivity with the TV. Unless it is physically plugged to the mini, DRM prevents viewing iTunes content. It looks like an apple TV will help out with iTunes at least but this implementation is getting supremely expensive compared to a windows mini pc which will also output 4k 60hz and scale text and icons to be usable on the couch in the living room. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but apple actually advertises the mini as a viable htpc device so I feel a bit letdown by my troubles. How hard can it really be to get text and icons scaled for usability on a large screen? You would think an OS update fully 5 years after the first 4k TVs hit the market might have something for us non-desk computer people. An organic extension bringing computer usage into casual everyday life should be moving this way instead of the legion of cell phone zombies stumbling around with their faces glued to their phones. I refuse to be assimilated into the collective as futile as my resistance may be!

Mar 11, 2018 9:15 PM in response to korytx

You mean like a wacom tablet or iPad posing as a tablet?

Now I'm a little curious because I have had my iPad Mini 2 mirroring with my 2012 Mac Mini a couple of times, but never really played with or tested it much.

Yea' we had to give AT&T the boot 2 years ago when they switched our service from DSL to u-verse, heck' their two-wire DSL from the pole was faster and more reliable than the U-nonsense.

I totally agree with the latter part of your report, adding that I've had Mac's ever since the 128K days and that 10.6.8 was my favorite OS X.

"legion of cell phone zombies stumbling around" Funny I've called my grandkids worse and oh my Gosh' the poor iPads and iPhones, have more germs than a fast-food restroom.

Is there any way to Full Function 4k screen share with a mac mini that doesn't involve lowering resolution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.