Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Avoid Loss of Mail Files During Upgrade

I'm about to update a Macbook Air from 10.9.5 to High Sierra 10.13.3. In a previous upgrade on my iMac, I ended up losing mail files. They were in Library but were not found by Mac Mail. What a mess. I'm concerned about losing mail files in this Macbook upgrade.

Looking for advice on what to back up in Mail before I do this upgrade. Also Macbook belongs to my wife and I'll be in deep do-do if I lose her emails or have to spend three days getting them back like I did on the iMac. I have set up Time machine using external USB drive and will let it do a backup of changed files before I start. Macbook Air is 13-inch, Mid 2013, 8GB

Appreciate any recommendations - add'l backup procedures, archive mail files, etc.

This seems simplistic: How do I upgrade my mid 2010 macbook pro from OSX 10.9.5 to 10.12 or 10.13?

Macmail-OTHER

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 11, 2018 6:23 PM in response to Venicejim In response to Venicejim

Enter in user library by clicking on finder > Go > Go to folder and type ~/ Library/Mail and click on Go .

User uploaded file

Right click on mail folder , and click on copy mail .

User uploaded file

Right click on empty desktop and click on paste item .

User uploaded file

The folder V ( its name could be V1 or other ) will be copied on the desktop , all mail data will get stored in the folder on the desktop , you can drag and drop the folder into a usb stick or to an external drive .

Note : each and every mail will be copied and even a single mail will not be missed / lost by using this procedure .

This is the way to save all mails with complete data and related files and data is not lost .

Even you upgrade to new version like Mac OS High Sierra , the mails are still on the server , they will get downloaded from the server when apple mail application is configured with web mail account

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 11, 2018 6:23 PM in response to Venicejim In response to Venicejim

Enter in user library by clicking on finder > Go > Go to folder and type ~/ Library/Mail and click on Go .

User uploaded file

Right click on mail folder , and click on copy mail .

User uploaded file

Right click on empty desktop and click on paste item .

User uploaded file

The folder V ( its name could be V1 or other ) will be copied on the desktop , all mail data will get stored in the folder on the desktop , you can drag and drop the folder into a usb stick or to an external drive .

Note : each and every mail will be copied and even a single mail will not be missed / lost by using this procedure .

This is the way to save all mails with complete data and related files and data is not lost .

Even you upgrade to new version like Mac OS High Sierra , the mails are still on the server , they will get downloaded from the server when apple mail application is configured with web mail account

Mar 11, 2018 6:23 PM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: Venicejim

Question: Avoid Loss of Mail Files During Upgrade