Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Sprint back to locking devices?

I was in Apple store today to upgrade my iPhone to iPhone X. I bought my current unlocked iPhone on iPhone Upgrade program. Today Apple store employee told me Sprint is restricting the iPhones (even though bought through Apple financing) and not allowing unlocked devices to be sold. Is that true? Anyone else experienced this?

iPhone X

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 11:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 11:26 PM

Someone in the States can answer this, but since I'm in Canada, I can tell you what it is here.

That's illegal. If someone bought a device unlocked, it MUST be able to access whatever provider the consumer chooses. Furthermore, all phones either subsidized or purchased outright from a provider, must come unlocked on or after December 1, 2017.

A Google search on this turns up nothing.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2018 11:26 PM in response to NikOnJava

Someone in the States can answer this, but since I'm in Canada, I can tell you what it is here.

That's illegal. If someone bought a device unlocked, it MUST be able to access whatever provider the consumer chooses. Furthermore, all phones either subsidized or purchased outright from a provider, must come unlocked on or after December 1, 2017.

A Google search on this turns up nothing.

Mar 10, 2018 11:26 PM in response to Driver8666

Thank you for a quick reply.

I should have been more clear in my post. Apple store employee said I could only buy iPhone "meant" for Sprint. It is exactly the same as other unlocked phone but only different item code. Even in U.S., I thought, law has passed for carriers to provide unlocked phones to customers. Especially that's the reason I am buying the phone directly from Apple so I could buy unlocked phone. I have done that in the past, but apparently this is new rule is enforced by Sprint from past month, according to apple store employee I spoke with.

Is Sprint back to locking devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.