Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage activation on Vodafone India

I've just ported my carrier from Aircel to Vodafone and unable to activate iMessage ever since. Is there any known issue with Vodafone and iMessage in particular? All it shows is "waiting for activation" or "activation unsuccessful". Best part - I've been consistently charged by Vodafone in name of activation.

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.2.5

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 1:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 3:50 PM

Hello ravibhootra,

Thanks for asking about activating Messages here in the Apple Support Communities. You are receiving alerts covered in this help article: If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime

After trying all the steps in that article, if you still have issues, the article states that it may take 24 hours to activate, but also offers more options stating:

Still not activated after a day?

It might take up to 24 hours to activate iMessage and FaceTime. If the issue continues after 24 hours, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that your device has the latest version of iOS.
  2. If you're using an iPhone, contact your carrier to make sure that you can receive SMS messages.
  3. Contact Apple Support.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.
21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2018 3:50 PM in response to ravibhootra

Hello ravibhootra,

Thanks for asking about activating Messages here in the Apple Support Communities. You are receiving alerts covered in this help article: If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime

After trying all the steps in that article, if you still have issues, the article states that it may take 24 hours to activate, but also offers more options stating:

Still not activated after a day?

It might take up to 24 hours to activate iMessage and FaceTime. If the issue continues after 24 hours, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that your device has the latest version of iOS.
  2. If you're using an iPhone, contact your carrier to make sure that you can receive SMS messages.
  3. Contact Apple Support.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Apr 1, 2018 3:53 AM in response to ravibhootra

You are correct and that is what's missing from the Help article on that topic. Some providers do charge for that SMS text to the UK. Mine doesn't because it's flagged in the system as the iMessage activation number. I'm in Canada by the way.

In addition, it's done behind the scenes. Unlike a text where you have a record of a conversation between say you and me, you would not know of this until you see your bill.

If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

Read this line very carefully:

Make sure that you’re connected to a cellular data or Wi-Fi network. If you're using an iPhone, you need SMS messaging to activate your phone number with iMessage and FaceTime. Depending on your carrier, you might be charged for this SMS.

That's why you were charged. If you want to dispute it with your providers, then go ahead and do it.

Apr 1, 2018 12:16 AM in response to drrajatarora

Hi Everyone,

I’m also stuck with this issue for 4 days now and I ported from Airtel to Vodafone. I contacted Apple and they said Vodafone is barring me from availing the service since it takes 90 days to complete porting. Vodafone on the other hand says that the issue is with Apple and they have completed the porting. I have been charged 155 rupees till now but no one is owning up and solving the issue.

Apr 2, 2018 1:00 AM in response to meetArin

Gonna disagree. See my post. Then complain to Vodaphone. The rejection is NOT happening from Apple's servers, unless you can provide the proof this is happening and since this is behind the scenes, you won't be able to.

Your "opinion" has no factual basis. If you can't send an international text or are blocked from doing so, take THAT issue up with your provider.

Apr 2, 2018 4:53 AM in response to drrajatarora

Took almost a week. And I said earlier it was all automatic. I never attempted to switch on/off my device for activation of iMessage. Every time when the network went off or the phone got switched off it auto-attempted to activate and during one such attempt it got activated. I’m sure I may face the similar problem should I switch off my device or network goes off. Vodafone and Apple should do something about it than making us suffer.

Apr 28, 2018 9:57 PM in response to abhigupta7

Only working solution, is to tell your provider not to charge you for it. Some providers don't charge for this as it's flagged in the providers system it's to activate iMessage and FaceTime. According to the Support Article that deals with this, you didn't catch the line that says "Depending on your carrier, you may be charged for this SMS". Obviously everyone here except me and whoever marked this as "Solved", to which it is, caught this.

Apr 29, 2018 12:44 AM in response to abhigupta7

I'll use a real life example for this. When I bought a 6s to test the "ecosystem" after my Android dropped "dead", it took 15 hours to activate iMessage. When I exchanged that for a 6s Plus, before the 14 days were up (paying the difference), it took 12 hours. When I bought an 8 Plus, it was instant.

Here's the caveat: I have international texting enabled on my plan from my provider. So all those "requesting activation" didn't cost me a dime. But this was before the network on my provider (Freedom Mobile in Canada) was approved by Apple (6s and 6s Plus, both 128GB versions). The 8 Plus (256GB version), was bought after the network was approved. In addition, since I retain my 6s Plus, the settings were transferred over setting up the 8 Plus. So I may or may have not had to go through the "reactivation" procedures.

But what you are implying is that Vodafone charges for this and Jio and Airtel does not. Maybe you should contact Apple, but then the "revolving door" will start. Pinpointing the blame will be difficult to do.

The UK activation number is not blocked is it? If you're getting charged, then it's not.

iMessage activation on Vodafone India

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.