Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm working in pages and it won't let me save my document. A popup appears saying document could not be autosaved?- Why

I am working on a document on Pages on my Macbook Pro (High Sierra) and keep getting the following warning : The document “Untitled 18” could not be autosaved. The file has been changed by another application.

I know I can override it but it happens with every doccument. What is going on?

There is no other application that could be changing my document and although I have an iphone, there is no link between Pages and my phone that I am aware of. Help please, it is highly annoying.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 5:37 AM

13 replies

Mar 18, 2018 6:27 AM in response to OddMama

The other documents were empty. I am a teacher and was starting to write reports, opening the number of windows needed for the children in my group. I have done this method for years, first in Word and now in Pages, I have never had a problem until this month. I always save them under a file name. I had just started working, which is why they had not had file names yet. They are not open longer than I am working on them, which is a day, and after I start the file by writing the introduction paragraph I manually save it.

The question I was asking was why, now after 20 years of using my computer's word processing applications in this way, am I getting this warning? Why is it saying that other applications have changed the file? What other application could have changed the file. That is the question.

Apr 25, 2018 12:59 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

OddMama, I've started having the same issue on two different Macs running various pieces of software, with no unsaved files on them, and only one file open at a time. Apps include Keynote and Multimarkdown Composer. It happens every few minutes. I'm running High Sierra. This problem has only started occurring a few days ago. Disk Utility tells me my drives are fine.

So, you are not the only one having this issue, it has nothing obvious to do with unsaved files or with how many unsaved files you have open, Mac doesn't need a file name to autosave a file, my Internet connection is constant and 1gbps, and I don't know why PeterBreis seems so judgmental about how you work.

PS: I can't imagine why it matters if you're an American.

If you get an answer somewhere, I hope you'll post it because it's an annoying problem.

Mar 11, 2018 9:46 AM in response to OddMama

Have you tried saving the file with a real name rather than leaving it as "Untitled 18"? How is your Mac supposed to know where you want to save this unnamed document? It's a good general rule to always save a new document with a name in a location of your choosing before you even enter a single letter.

Mar 18, 2018 5:43 AM in response to OddMama

Let's stick to the issue. Why have you not saved the last 18 documents?

You can not expect to escape ultimate disaster if you do not look after your own work.

The Mac may not be able to save your files for a number of reasons, one highly probably one being the Internet may not be available, or the device you were originally working to at some time is not available any more.

Have you tried to save your document (with a name so you can find it later) to your hard drive?

Peter

Mar 18, 2018 6:41 PM in response to OddMama

We can not tell because we can not see what you are looking at and only have your description of what you are doing and the circumstances in which you are doing that.

As I said if it has been saved to an offsite location, possibly in the Cloud or on a server, and it can not reach that file or the location where it is trying to save, it may report that the file can not be saved.

As to how you work. If you have a group of children and commonly write reports for them, the identifiers of those files are the Children's names, possibly subjects or projects and the date. Something which you can easily set up as a set and modify.

Having 18 "Untitled" documents open is certainly likely to confuse your computer if not you.

If you have done this previously and it is now problematic you need to look at what is different from before than now.

Have you just done this for the first time in Pages? The first time in this version of Pages? The first time in a particular set-up e.g. where you are saving to the Cloud, or to a server, or a USB flash drive, or whatever?

Whilst your task and the way you do it may not have changed if you changed your tools the results can change.

Peter

PS Are you American?

Apr 25, 2018 4:51 PM in response to davidjoho

The Mac needs to have you save it first time with a name even if that is "Untitled" which is obviously a bad idea if you want to ever find your work.

The fact there were a lot of Untitled files may have been the problem. They couldn't be saved on top of each other wherever they were being "saved" to. Who knows? The O.P. objected to telling us.

I asked if she was American because we get quite a few U.S. teachers here with the same attitude that indignance is a substitute for communication. Let alone commonsense. Possibly explains a lot about education outcomes in the States. There is an almost agressive pride in not knowing, and an attitude of why should I?

I persisted despite the O.P. really was not going to bother giving us the full details in case that let us get to the bottom of the issue.

Peter

Apr 29, 2018 11:48 AM in response to edfromva

Yes it does, because she still has not done the obvious and described what exactly she is using or doing. We can not see poster’s screens.

We work hard at trying to reproduce work to isolate problems but can not do it without at least some cooperation from posters.

Warning Users to save their work with locatable names should be unnecessary.

All we have got thus far is that the O.P. has been doing this for “20 years”. Irrelevant information that we hear over and over again, and which is not helpful. Pages has not existed for 20 years, especially whatever version she is talking about. She has not told us when exactly she changed whatever it is she changed, nor where she is saving to. Something that everybody else who has piled onto this has also failed to do. This is not the Psychics Hotline.

i have tried to repeat, as far as I can from the limited information, having 18 untitled documents open in Pages 7 on macOS Sierra and do not get the warning, so obviously there is something else out of all the details that we have not been told that is causing the issue. The O.P.s description makes no sense if the file has never been saved, so something is not what was as stated.

We help a lot of people over many years, despite many of those people won’t help themselves, or us.

We are volunteers, nothing stopping you volunteering and helping. If you choose to do so, you may suddenly discover vague and uncooperative questions are not helpful.

Peter

I'm working in pages and it won't let me save my document. A popup appears saying document could not be autosaved?- Why

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.