Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer secure notes in OS 10.13.3

I would like to transfer my secure notes from my iMac to my new MacBook without using Migration Assistant. Both computers are using OS X 10.13.3. I have followed the older conversations posted in this community but they refer to items in my Keychains Folder that no longer exist in OS X 10.13.3. Can someone shed some light on how I might do this?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 6:10 AM

2 replies

Mar 12, 2018 7:11 AM in response to Indy-j

Hi there, Indy-j!
Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! That is a great question you have about moving secure notes without using Migration Assistant and I am happy to help out! I recommend taking a look at this article with information about OS X: Manually migrating data from another Mac. This article will give you other options for moving data from another computer, in your case, I would recommend looking at this information about using File Sharing:

Use File Sharing

User uploaded file

If both of your computers are connected to the same network, you can use File Sharing to copy items between them.

First, connect your Macs to the same network using Wi-Fi or Ethernet. If you don't have access to a larger network, you can simply connect an Ethernet cable between your two computers. If your computer doesn't have an Ethernet connection, check to see if you have a USB to Ethernet adapter you can use, or a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter.

Next, enable File Sharing on one of the computers.

1. Open System Preferences.
  2. Select Sharing.
  3. Make note of the name of this computer in the Computer Name field.
  4. Select (check) the option for File Sharing.

On the other Mac, connect the two computers using these steps:

1. Click the Finder icon in the Dock to switch to the Finder.
  2. Choose Go > Connect To Server.
  3. Click the Browse button.
  4. Locate the other computer in the window that appears. Double-click the computer's icon.
  5. If prompted, enter the user name and password for the user's files you are trying to copy.

You can now copy files between the two computers for this user. Repeat the steps above for any other users you have on your computer.

Let me know the results and have a great day!

Mar 12, 2018 9:18 AM in response to Indy-j

First create new secured items in the Mac using this article Keychain for Mac: Store confidential information securely using Keychain Access

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Then see this article Keychain for Mac: Copy keychains to another Mac

To manually move your keychains to another Mac, you can copy your keychain file to the other computer and import it with Keychain Access.

Read this article Keychain for Mac: Import and export keychain items

A very important note : If the Export Items menu is dimmed, then at least one of the selected items can’t be exported.

Transfer secure notes in OS 10.13.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.