Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't empty the Trash

I decided to delete my TimeMachine backups from an external hard drive to free up space on that drive. I put the backups in the Trash. I am now unable to empty the trash. I have tried to do so repeatedly without success. Trash says its deleting but will run for hours. The following popups are interspersed throughout the deletion process: "The operation can't be completed because the item 'share' is in use"; "The operation can't be completed because the item 'usr' in in use"; "The operation can't be completed because the item '2017-10-4-010820' in in use"; "The operation can't be completed because the item 'folders' is in use"; "The operation can't be completed because the item 'Library' is in use"; "The operation can't be completed because the item 'system' is in use."

- I have taken the following steps: I have run OnyX (I have the appropriate version for High Sierra) and Apple's Disk Utility. Both say the disk is OK. I have tried restarting. Nothing seems to help delete the Trash.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 7:46 AM

Never attempt to delete TM backups from within Finder. The backups will always get stuck in your Trash and you won't be able to delete them. You'll notice that if you disconnect your TM drive the files will disappear from your Trash but when you reconnect it they will appear again. The fastest and easiest way to solve this is to erase your TM drive and start over.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2018 7:46 AM in response to Doug Chisholm

Never attempt to delete TM backups from within Finder. The backups will always get stuck in your Trash and you won't be able to delete them. You'll notice that if you disconnect your TM drive the files will disappear from your Trash but when you reconnect it they will appear again. The fastest and easiest way to solve this is to erase your TM drive and start over.

I can't empty the Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.