Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay dropping out on iphone 7

With the last 1 or 2 software updates to the iphone (I'm 11.2.6) airplay has been dropping connection a lot. I try to stream music from itunes on my phone to my apple tv 4k (latest update installed there too) and it shows it's connected and I hit play and it plays two seconds of a song and drops connection to the apple tv. I never hear the music streamed either. I have to turn my phone off and power it back on each time for it to keep the connection. VERY annoying. This never happened before the last couple of updates. Is this a known issue?

Apple TV 4K, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 10:09 AM

8 replies

Mar 11, 2018 10:15 AM in response to merryxmas

Hi,

If your content gets interrupted or your network lags

If you have a weak Wi-Fi signal or interference from a nearby device, like a microwave or baby monitor, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that you use the recommended settings for your Wi-Fi router.
  2. Move or turn off other devices that might cause interference.
  3. If possible, connect your Apple TV directly to your router with an Ethernet cable instead of using Wi-Fi.

Your AirPlay connection might get interrupted when you lock your device, put it to sleep, or switch to a different app.

Information above from this support article > Get help with AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Mar 13, 2018 11:07 AM in response to merryxmas

Airplay is very sensitive to noise on the wifi channel its talking on. I troubleshoot airplay in an enterprise environment daily. Heres my recommendation.

Try to force air play peer to peer. Disconnect (dont turn off) the wireless on your apple TV. Then make sure bluetooth is enabled on both your iphone and the apple Tv. Then make sure your wireless network is not broadcasting on 5ghz channel 149 or higher. Thats where airplay lives when its broadcasting peer to peer. So free up those high UNI3 channels on your router, and then connect. It will be stable and you wont drop anymore as long as those wireless channels are clear with no other networks broadcasting close by. This is apple's best practices for the cleanest and most stable airplaying sessions. Forget the "its only been happening since the updates". This is the only way to guarantee a stable airplay session.

Apr 5, 2018 5:34 PM in response to merryxmas

Obviously you didn't read what was stated. Again, it was working just fine on my system and for the majority prior. Also, these reports come after every update, but from a select group. So it's working now for you, yet there are others who are reporting this issue with the same software. They will make the same claim that it's a bug, but that obviously is not the case.

As you have done nothing to rectify the actual issue it can reappear at any time.

Airplay dropping out on iphone 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.