Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery won't take a charge; dim green light from charger

I have a MacBook Pro 13", mid-2012 with a 60W MagSafe.

The battery started acting up, saying it would need to be replaced soon, so I suspect it's dead. I've ordered a new battery, but I'm wondering if there's any temporary fix until it arrives (it's going to be a week before it gets here).

Anyways, yesterday I noticed that my computer wasn't charging. I realized my charging port was loose (literally recessing into the body), so I opened up the back and tightened the screws for the charging port. Closed up the back and still nothing. When I plug in the charger, there's just a dim green light.

I tried resetting the SMC, but when I try to power it on after pressing Shift-Ctrl-Option-Power, it won't turn on. I can only get my computer to work by unplugging the charger, opening up the back, disconnecting the battery from the logic board, holding down power for ~5 seconds, then plugging in my charger (while still holding power). My laptop can work more or less normally, except without any battery indicators, but the fan runs on full speed.

My questions are (1) Any temporary fix? and (2) How can I quiet the fan down?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

P.S. I've tried multiple chargers and multiple outlets, and cleaned my charger & port, so I know those aren't the problems.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 10:55 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Mar 11, 2018 11:17 AM in response to Gilberti

If you've unplugged the battery the computer can't see the battery temperature sensor. That's most likely why it's running the fans at full speed. I'm not 100% sure that's the reason, but that's my bet.

A dim light on the charger can be a bad charging port. You can replace it and hope it's that. However you'll need to remove the whole motherboard to unplug the charge port, and removing the motherboard is a lot of hassle. If that doesn't fix it, there's a problem on the motherboard itself.

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Early 2011 MagSafe DC-In Board Replacement - iFixit

Battery won't take a charge; dim green light from charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.