Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs incorrectly tagged as 'available for download'

iTunes (v12.7.3.46) on a recently formatted and reinstalled Windows 10 Home system.

I kept my iTunes Library.itl file and my music folder from my previous build. I can see all my music and playlists.

The problem is, iTunes has identified all my music as being 'available for download' from the cloud, rather than seeing it as being on my hard drive. When I try to download from the cloud, I'm left with two copies of my music in my folders.

I tried use the 'add folder to library' and added the top level music folder. That leaves me with two instances within iTunes, one saying that it's 'available for download' (cloud with downward arrow) and another with the 'waiting' (dotted line cloud).

Is there a way to have iTunes recognize the files I have on my hard drive and not show a separate copy in the cloud?

Windows 10

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 6:00 PM

Kept them where? Ideally you would have backup the state of your library in a manner similar to this: Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy, then restored it after rebuilding your system. If that is what you think you did try Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash. Failing that the comment about dotted clouds implies that you have either iTunes Match or Apple Music. Sign out your Apple ID. Import the contents of your media folder, then sign in again. Anything that wasn't stored locally should show up in the cloud and there shouldn't be any duplicates.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2018 6:00 PM in response to jwmcvety

Kept them where? Ideally you would have backup the state of your library in a manner similar to this: Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy, then restored it after rebuilding your system. If that is what you think you did try Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash. Failing that the comment about dotted clouds implies that you have either iTunes Match or Apple Music. Sign out your Apple ID. Import the contents of your media folder, then sign in again. Anything that wasn't stored locally should show up in the cloud and there shouldn't be any duplicates.

tt2

Mar 11, 2018 6:03 PM in response to turingtest2

Logging out did the trick. Can't believe I hadn't thought of that. As soon as I did, the cloud icon went away and the songs appeared as normal, without any icons. Logged back in and everything appears fine.

Just further clarification, I hadn't moved the library at all. My formatted system drive was a different physical drive, so my music and db files were exactly the same after the format.

Thanks for the spot on help!

Songs incorrectly tagged as 'available for download'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.