Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: System mute does not mute power connect sound

On a touchbar Macbook Pro,

1) Set volume to average level

2) Plug in power cord

Sound is heard. Unplug power

3) Raise volume level

4) Plug in power cord

Sound is heard at higher level, indicating that system volume effects this event. Unplug power

5) Mute system volume

6) Plug in power cord

Sound is heard at same volume as step 4

System mute should mute ALL sounds.

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 11, 2018 11:54 AM in response to jefish In response to jefish

Mute requires the OS to be running which it isn't when you connect power. I doubt that Mute is saved along with the default sound level in the pram. You can check the pram by zapping it: Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM. Are you muting sound via the keyboard function key at the top of the keyboard? Does your model emit the startup chime?

Mar 11, 2018 11:54 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 11, 2018 3:39 PM in response to jefish In response to jefish

Interestingly, you can actually see the volume icon on the touchbar briefly UNmute itself when the power cord is connected. It's like Apple did this on purpose for some reason.

Mar 11, 2018 3:39 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 11, 2018 8:06 PM in response to Kappy In response to Kappy

I think maybe you’re not understanding the issue. Maybe I’m not describing it very well. :)

If I mute my laptop, I expect all sounds to be muted. The laptop shouldn’t decide to make a noise when I plug in its power connector if I have specifically muted the system.

For instance, if I have my volume turned up quite loud during the day, but then hit the mute button in the evening, I shouldn’t expect to get blasted by the power connect sound.

Mar 11, 2018 8:06 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: jefish

Question: System mute does not mute power connect sound