Related Article

Location Services & Privacy

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Can I send Apple the location of my router directly?

Had my son open up location services and allow his location data to be sent to Apple, the other day when he was at my house. Did not seem to help Apple see my wifi router. My IPad is WiFi only and can not determine my location for things like google earth. Works fin at my sones house and elsewhere. Can I just send Apple my location directly?

iPad Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 11, 2018 1:46 PM in response to LakeSideDigital In response to LakeSideDigital

No, Apple has provided no mechanism for doing that. Anecdotal information indicates that using a device that has GPS on the network will speed up the process somewhat. So, if your son has an iPhone and uses it on your WiFi network, that should help.

Mar 11, 2018 1:46 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 11, 2018 1:53 PM in response to LakeSideDigital In response to LakeSideDigital

Can I just send Apple my location directly?

Apple is limited to using the location data provided by your ISP as to where your router is. Your IP address is registered by your ISP as being at xxx location.

That's all Apple can use when there is no GPS capability as noted previously.

Mar 11, 2018 1:53 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 11, 2018 5:19 PM in response to LakeSideDigital In response to LakeSideDigital

LACAllen, so it is a problem with my isp’s (Spectrum/TimeWarner Cable) router?

It's not a problem as much as it is a lack of the specific functionality you want.

I have to just get them to add a location to my IP address?

I highly doubt they will do that, nor will Apple want it or be able to use it.

I think Google Earth allows you to save place names or landmarks and navigate to and from them.

Mar 11, 2018 5:19 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: LakeSideDigital

Question: Can I send Apple the location of my router directly?