Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes videos with multiple audio tracks

I have videos in iTunes with multiple audio tracks, but Apple TV only shows the first one. How can I select a different audio track?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 7:39 AM

In Apple TV Setting>Video and Audio>Surround Sound, I changed the setting from "Best Available" to "Dolby Digital 5.1."

Now all audio tracks are listed under Audio Info while the video is playing and I can choose and listen to any of them whether they are Surround 5.1, or Stereo.

Thanks for you help.

8 replies

Mar 12, 2018 7:29 AM in response to kingfisher500

I'm afraid I don't have any content with multiple audio tracks, so I cannot run any experiments of my own. You could see if there is a pull down menu on the Apple TV that lets you select between the tracks. If this is an iTunes purchase can you play directly from the Apple TV with options rather than AirPlay it? Either way use Feedback - iTunes - Apple to let Apple know about your difficulties accessing the alternate audio.

tt2

Mar 12, 2018 6:55 AM in response to turingtest2

I know how to do that. On my iMac, I do see the list of the audio tracks and can change them and listen to any track on my iMac, but if I send to the Apple TV with Airplay, then the audio that plays through Airplay is only the first listed audio track, not the one that I selected.

If I try to change the audio track on the Apple TV, as described in the link you provided, I do not see any of the audio tracks listed. I see thee lists for Sound and for Speaker, but not for Languages. Actually all of the audio tracks are in English, but they have different content.

I tried checking and unchecking "Prefer AC3 Passthrough, but that made no difference.

Mar 12, 2018 7:25 AM in response to Airsculpture

It appears to make no difference if all the tracks have the same encoding or not. Also, I have one video with an English audio Track and an Italian one. iTunes shows that the tracks are in those different languages, but Apple TV still does not show any Languages on the Audio Info screen.

I will look at the Apple TV settings, as you suggest.

iTunes videos with multiple audio tracks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.