Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Monitor "desktop" issue

I have an iMac - Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015 running High Sierra.

I use an external monitor for an extended desktop. (It's an HP model that I turn sideways so it is in the "tall" position)

Sometime about 6 to 12 months ago the "desktop" of the external monitor would always become unresponsive when waking up from an extended sleep period (anything more than a few minutes). Desktop icons disappear and the desktop is unresponsive to everything. And app window on that monitor still works fine.

Unplugging and reconnecting the connection cable will bring the desktop back to life.

I've tried thunderbolt to HDMI, and thunderbolt to SVGA (?) cables. Same results.

Two MacOS updates ago this problem was fixed! My external monitor worked flawlessly for about 2 to 4 weeks... then the latest update (10.13.3) broke it again.

I've tried repairing permissions (using TechTool pro) and many other system cache cleaners and such...

Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem?

Randy

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), Various iGadgets and Macs, updated

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 6:32 PM

You've tried a different Mini DisplayPort-Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter and HDMI cables?

Hookup what you have and reset the NVRAM.

see > How to reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If that does not help, test some different adapters, cables and another monitor to see if it works better.

Similar questions

7 replies

External Monitor "desktop" issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.