Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Can I move all of the photos on my Mac onto iClouc and then delete them from my Mac?

I’m using a 2013 iMac 21.5 inch machine

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 11, 2018 4:37 PM in response to gst1979 In response to gst1979

You got a totally wrong answer - iCloud is NOT an offline storage solution and is NOT a place to store photos, it is async service to keep th libraries on multiple devices identical - any change made to any of the connected devices is made to all of them including deletions

iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support

Any changes you make to your collection on one device, change on your other devices too

LN

Mar 11, 2018 4:37 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 11, 2018 4:57 PM in response to LarryHN In response to LarryHN

Good to know.

Is ICloud Drive their offline storage solution?

All I want is a simple solution. I don’t want a bunch of external hard drives laying around my house with backups of files and old pictures. I also don’t think it’s necessary for me to have a computer with a hard drive larger than 256gb to keep all of this old data. I’d like for everything to be in the cloud so I can get whatever I need from wherever I am.

My goal was to keep everything within the Apple ecosystem because everything works well between all of my devices. I’m tired of moving a bunch of photos from one computer to the next without having looked at them for years. That’s why I thought storing everything in the cloud made the most sense for my use case.

Any suggestions?

Mar 11, 2018 4:57 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 11, 2018 6:08 PM in response to gst1979 In response to gst1979

Nope - there really is not one

iCloud Photo Library is simple and lets you reduce local storage requirements if you want

No Cloud service including iCloud Drive, Google Photos, etc is safe for the Photos library - it must be on a local drive with a fast wired connection Where is it safe to store a Photos Library? Requirements for the external drive

And in any case you still need a good, local backup if your photos have any value to you

Maybe some other Digital Asset Manager (DAM) could handle what you want except for being simple - having your Photos on a non local drive will always be exceedingly slow and complicated - A DAM that can use a local NAS (again that is not Photos) is probably the cosest you can come to meeting your requirements

LN

Mar 11, 2018 6:08 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 12, 2018 12:13 AM in response to gst1979 In response to gst1979

Hi,

I went through this a while back when I had an iPhone that was running out of free space. There is nothing in the Apple stable that will solve your problem. iCloud, as others as stated is purely a synchronisation service. Whatever you delete there gets deleted everywhere.

After exhaustive searching various options I settled on Google Photos as it will copy every photo you have up to its cloud and they stay there until you manually delete them. I use it on my iPhone and Macbook. It is reliable. When you first set it up it may take a while to copy all your photos up to its cloud but once they are there you can remove the copies on your devices.

Google Photos stores 1TB for free. Images are stored at full resolution as long as they are smaller than 24MB each I believe. Bigger than that and you have to pay for the storage. You will have to check out the details.

It is shame that Apple offers nothing in this space.

Mar 12, 2018 12:13 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: gst1979

Question: Can I move all of the photos on my Mac onto iClouc and then delete them from my Mac?