Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transitions on Titles?

Hello there,

I was wondering if there was any way how to edit the duration on transitions connected to Titles. For example, for Titles like Expand, Reveal and all of the others, usually they come in and out in a certain with the Transitions connected. I want to know if there is a way on how to change the duration of those Transitions, just so the text is still with nothing fancy going on. Is there a way to do this in the program or am I going to have to add a photo with the text on it?

-Jace

iPad Mini, iOS 8.4.1, Mac

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 7:48 PM

As I understand it, you want to eliminate the fades from the titles, so they are still with no animation.

Title fades cannot be adjusted in iMovie. However, there is a workaround. Open a new project and insert a green background into the timeline. Place a title over it with the text and font you want. Share it out. Import it back in to your main project as a new clip. Scroll to the point in the clip where you want to freeze the title. Then do a Modify/Add Freeze Frame. Then trim out the frames before and after the freeze frame. That will eliminate the fades. To increase the duration, drag the freeze frame handles in the upper right and left of the clip. Then put the title clip above the clip that you want to insert it into. Use the green screen feature to overlay it onto the clip.

It sounds a bit complicated, I know. Personally I think it is easier to use your suggestion of adding a photo with the title on it. You would need to use a transparency to overlay over a video.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2018 7:48 PM in response to Jace_Rausch

As I understand it, you want to eliminate the fades from the titles, so they are still with no animation.

Title fades cannot be adjusted in iMovie. However, there is a workaround. Open a new project and insert a green background into the timeline. Place a title over it with the text and font you want. Share it out. Import it back in to your main project as a new clip. Scroll to the point in the clip where you want to freeze the title. Then do a Modify/Add Freeze Frame. Then trim out the frames before and after the freeze frame. That will eliminate the fades. To increase the duration, drag the freeze frame handles in the upper right and left of the clip. Then put the title clip above the clip that you want to insert it into. Use the green screen feature to overlay it onto the clip.

It sounds a bit complicated, I know. Personally I think it is easier to use your suggestion of adding a photo with the title on it. You would need to use a transparency to overlay over a video.

-- Rich

Mar 29, 2018 5:40 PM in response to Jace_Rausch

Hi, Jace,

Here's another way to eliminate fades in titles, using the transparency method. With a transparency you can insert and overlay your title with the Picture in Picture effect, and that gives you the capability of positioning the title exactly where you want it, that is a bit more difficult with green screen. If you are up for trying the transparency method, follow my instructions in this thread:

subtitles again!

Transitions on Titles?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.