Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i want some advice or help what to do about virus protection?

I need some intel about how to protect my computer from viruses or what to do if my Mac already contains viruses. I asked out of fear because i get these pop ups (but they seem so fake) i need some help or advice for my device.

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 9:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 1:53 PM

If you are running a Mac and are not also running a Windows partition (i.e., you are just running the Mac as is), then you do not have viruses, and you absolutely do not want to even consider installing any sort of anti-virus software or "cleaner" software on your machine. Stay far, far, away from Mac Cleaner, Clean My Mac, and any other type of software that claims to keep your Mac clean and efficient. They won't. They will, however, wreak havoc on the way that the Mac is designed to keep it clean and secure.

Unlike a Windows machine, a Mac is not susceptible to viruses if you allow it to do it's job, and if you use safe practices when browsing the internet.

This is a good place to get started on reading up on how to keep your Mac safe from malware and adware: http://www.thesafemac.com/news-favorites/

And Malwarebytes, an anti-malware/anti-adware tool is also a good tool to have on your Mac as well: Malwarebytes | Malwarebytes for Mac

Generally speaking, make sure that sites you are visiting are familiar to you, and don't click on ads and other links on sites just because they look interesting. A lot of pop-up, adware, and malware are introduced by getting sucked into clicking on a site that looks too interesting to be true. So, just practice good internet browsing habits, and be aware of what you are clicking on, and to whom you are providing information. If you are not 100% absolutely certain that a particular link or request for info is legitimate, avoid it like the plague.

Best of luck,

GB

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2018 1:53 PM in response to Mr.Jones100

If you are running a Mac and are not also running a Windows partition (i.e., you are just running the Mac as is), then you do not have viruses, and you absolutely do not want to even consider installing any sort of anti-virus software or "cleaner" software on your machine. Stay far, far, away from Mac Cleaner, Clean My Mac, and any other type of software that claims to keep your Mac clean and efficient. They won't. They will, however, wreak havoc on the way that the Mac is designed to keep it clean and secure.

Unlike a Windows machine, a Mac is not susceptible to viruses if you allow it to do it's job, and if you use safe practices when browsing the internet.

This is a good place to get started on reading up on how to keep your Mac safe from malware and adware: http://www.thesafemac.com/news-favorites/

And Malwarebytes, an anti-malware/anti-adware tool is also a good tool to have on your Mac as well: Malwarebytes | Malwarebytes for Mac

Generally speaking, make sure that sites you are visiting are familiar to you, and don't click on ads and other links on sites just because they look interesting. A lot of pop-up, adware, and malware are introduced by getting sucked into clicking on a site that looks too interesting to be true. So, just practice good internet browsing habits, and be aware of what you are clicking on, and to whom you are providing information. If you are not 100% absolutely certain that a particular link or request for info is legitimate, avoid it like the plague.

Best of luck,

GB

Mar 12, 2018 1:52 PM in response to Mr.Jones100

Feb 2017 macjack post on dealing with Safari virus warnings - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7867552?answerId=31415398022#31415398022

The warnings are bogus, trying to scare you into buying software you do not need and which will likely harm your computer. Mac system software already has a fair amount of protection software built into it. There are no demonstrated Mac viruses in the wild and viruses are not something you need worry about in normal practice. If you should get a malware infection (mostly due to doing something stupid such as installing anti-virus software) there are tools for addressing those specific occurrences. I haven't run anti-virus software on my computers since 1995. I haven't even gotten any malware on my computer.

Mar 13, 2018 1:15 AM in response to Mr.Jones100

Yes you should defiantly look out for those three known viruses made for macOS ( OSX ) made since 2001 . They can do terrible things to your Mac and you should be very aware of them . Macs don't deal with getting a virus like the way a windows computer does also viruses are not written for a Mac mostly . Now malware is made for both ( including linux too ) and thats because it is using many of the same protocols for getting on line and communicating through the net . There is malwarebytes that is highly rated for Mac . Etrecheck is another very good program to help you see what is on your Mac . I have used both and are very good programs . Don't fall for the many other programs out there as they are often malware of their own or very badly written and hard to remove programs .

i want some advice or help what to do about virus protection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.