Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: It’s a issue about my Iphone 6s plus that I could not activate my phone because of sim is required how can i fixed this without sim?

My Iphone 6s Plus, I had a problem on it because I erase all content and settings. I didn’t know that after that, It will be like this that I can’t fixed my phone without sim because when I did this last year It works without sim. I hope you can help me about this issue. Thank you!

Posted on

Question marked as Apple Recommended
Answer:
Answer:

You need a sim to activate the phone. There is no way around this.

While the phone can function without a sim card once its been activated, activation requires a sim card. If the phone is locked to particular carrier, the sim card will need to be from that carrier. Otherwise it can be a sim card from any carrier.

The sim card however does not have to have active cellular service on it, but does need to be working. You can borrow a sim card from someone just for activation. Once activation is complete the sim card can be removed.

Read here for more details.

If you can't activate your iPhone - Apple Support

Posted on

Page content loaded

Question marked as Apple Recommended

Mar 12, 2018 8:04 AM in response to kayefromhyattsville In response to kayefromhyattsville

You need a sim to activate the phone. There is no way around this.

While the phone can function without a sim card once its been activated, activation requires a sim card. If the phone is locked to particular carrier, the sim card will need to be from that carrier. Otherwise it can be a sim card from any carrier.

The sim card however does not have to have active cellular service on it, but does need to be working. You can borrow a sim card from someone just for activation. Once activation is complete the sim card can be removed.

Read here for more details.

If you can't activate your iPhone - Apple Support

Mar 12, 2018 8:04 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 19, 2018 5:06 PM in response to Phil0124 In response to Phil0124

Phil0124 wrote:

While the phone can function without a sim card once its been activated

This post Re: Stolen Phone Offline says it does need a SIM card at all times to function with cellular. I also went to an Apple Store and asked. Although Apple Store staff are not always 100% on everything Apple, the person I spoke to there also said modern iPhones needed a SIM card which agrees with the post I linked. Some older ones which came carrier locked did not.

Mar 19, 2018 5:06 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 19, 2018 7:58 PM in response to Limnos In response to Limnos

Never said it would have cellular access without a sim card.

I said it could function. Which it can in a limited capacity with Wifi.

Yes, it cannot make or receive calls, and it cannot send or receive SMS or MMS messages.

But it can do pretty much everything else.

Mar 19, 2018 7:58 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 27, 2018 9:15 AM in response to Phil0124 In response to Phil0124

Okay, it's just your initial statement was pretty broad.

While the phone can function without a sim card once its been activated

The OP does not say they want this in a wi-fi only capacity (most people do not).

For that matter the phone can "function" without ever needing a SIM card art all -- as a paperweight.

Mar 27, 2018 9:15 AM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: kayefromhyattsville

Question: It’s a issue about my Iphone 6s plus that I could not activate my phone because of sim is required how can i fixed this without sim?