Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need help to move my os system from my toshiba hdd to a new sdd

I have a 2011 early Mac Pro and I need to move my os system with Sierra to a new ssd from my hdd toshiba . I have a Lacie rikki with 320 gb. So can someone please help me with a step by step nning? I backed up the system but I’m not sure if I did it correctly. I know I need a bootable version of my system. So should I reformat my Lacie and back

up my system and partition my old drive I’m lost help ?

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 12:11 AM

2 replies

Mar 12, 2018 6:20 AM in response to frederickfromsacramento

This is my suggestion. It is NOT the only way to do this.

I'm assuming you are offering up the LaCie as a backup disk.

Clone your internal disk to the LaCie. One of the following utilities should do this

• Carbon Copy Cloner (free fully enabled 1 month demo)
  • SuperDuper (a full clone is always free)
  • Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility -> Restore (with the LaCie as the restore destination from the internal hard disk)

Now boot from the LaCie to prove the clone worked successfully.

Install the SSD.

Boot from the LaCie, then download and install a clean copy of macOS from the App store, or if you have a saved installer in Application, use that.

During the install, it will ask if you want to migrate your data from a backup. Point the installer at the LaCie and it will migrate all your data and apps from the LaCie to the SSD.

The migration process can take awhile, but it will do the job.

Mar 18, 2018 5:43 PM in response to frederickfromsacramento

Can you verify that you really have a Mac Pro, and NOT a MacBook Pro laptop? I ask because there is no early 2011 Mac Pro—there are 2010 and 2012 Mac Pros. There is, however, an early 2011 MacBook Pro.

If you have a laptop, the procedure I would suggest is that you start with the SSD in an inexpensive external enclosure, and clone your current system onto it. Boot from the clone and verify that everything is working before removing the SSD from the enclosure, opening your laptop and installing the SSD. You can find step by step installation videos at http://www.macsales.com (OWC). They also sell an inexpensive toolkit that would be good to have if you are going to install the SSD in a laptop.

I need help to move my os system from my toshiba hdd to a new sdd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.