Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: service on obsolete mac book pro

why is there no service and support on my mac book pro about 10 yrs old. I-care locally pulls up my serial not and say cannot get parts, can't order parts. . Sorry

need vga and wifi card.


HOw to get help as the apple web site is the worst for service and support. There only to pass the buck to some dealer when I need to find out fi my pc can't be fixed and where to get parts; ie. form the home office as the Icare shop here in Pattaya, chonburi, Thailand cannot

MacBook Pro, iOS 11.1, blank screen

Posted on

Reply
Question marked as Helpful

Mar 12, 2018 3:04 PM in response to HAnilsen In response to HAnilsen

HAnilsen wrote:


If you're going to get parts for an old computer like that, your best source is places like eBay. If you can find independent electronics repair shops, maybe they can help you.


The biggest problem with eBay is that they're often salvage parts that aren't necessarily tested. At least in the United States there are companies like iFixit or PowerBook Medic that will guarantee that the parts will work. But sometimes their prices can be pretty good. If it's something like a 2008 15" MacBook Pro, PowerBook Medic is pretty cheap. As in less than $3 (US).


https://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-and-MacBook-Pro-Airport-Card-p-17152.html

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Mar 12, 2018 9:20 AM in response to THAIED In response to THAIED

Nothing ages faster than electronics. It costs money to keep parts available for a diminishing number of working computers. On top of that you probably have a machine that's not supported with the latest OS updates.


But if you really need it, there are plenty of salvage parts available.

Mar 12, 2018 9:20 AM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Mar 12, 2018 3:04 PM in response to HAnilsen In response to HAnilsen

HAnilsen wrote:


If you're going to get parts for an old computer like that, your best source is places like eBay. If you can find independent electronics repair shops, maybe they can help you.


The biggest problem with eBay is that they're often salvage parts that aren't necessarily tested. At least in the United States there are companies like iFixit or PowerBook Medic that will guarantee that the parts will work. But sometimes their prices can be pretty good. If it's something like a 2008 15" MacBook Pro, PowerBook Medic is pretty cheap. As in less than $3 (US).


https://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-and-MacBook-Pro-Airport-Card-p-17152.html

Mar 12, 2018 3:04 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 12, 2018 10:00 AM in response to THAIED In response to THAIED

THAIED wrote:


why is there no service and support on my mac book pro about 10 yrs old.

need vga and wifi card.



It never pays to get too far behind in hardware or software.

Vintage and obsolete products - Apple Support

Mar 12, 2018 10:00 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 12, 2018 10:41 AM in response to leroydouglas In response to leroydouglas

leroydouglas wrote:

It never pays to get too far behind in hardware or software.

Vintage and obsolete products - Apple Support


It's fun (to a certain point) keeping around an old Mac almost as a hobby. However, there a certain practical nature in keeping up with the latest operating systems and having proper security patches available.

Mar 12, 2018 10:41 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 12, 2018 3:15 PM in response to THAIED In response to THAIED

THAIED wrote:


Bought in 2006. Upgraded OS about a year ago. 8 gig ram.

Befirevthe so called repair shop got it it took 15 min. For the screen to display.


That's old. I wouldn't say useless, but at this point you're not going to get the best use out of a machine that old. I've got a 2007 Santa Rosa MacBook myself, but if it were to start failing I wouldn't put anything into it. At this point Apple doesn't support it with hardware parts and it's been a while since there's been a software update for it. I don't even think you have access to an updated web browser that patches Spectre. Also - the original Core Duo is really slow compared to any of the newer models.


There really aren't too many companies that still provide hardware parts after 12 years. The expected utility is generally going to be able 5 years for any computer company.

Mar 12, 2018 3:15 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: THAIED

Question: service on obsolete mac book pro