Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5K iMac Fan Noise Unbearable.

I’ve just received my 5K imac and powered it up. I noticed straight away it was faster than my late 2012 model. I bought this new one as I edit video a lot and figured I’d go for the higher spec i7 processor. It was powered on no more than 30mins and I decided to test it using a short video clip and the fan speed went to 2700+ and I can barely hear myself think. This can’t be normal. I reset NVRAM, noise persists. So I read so many others have this issue too. I’ll have to return my purchase. Very disappointed. I know I can get software to manipulate fan speed but that’s not a valid solution. Anyone else have this issue?

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 6:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 6:08 AM

you have a 14 day period in which you can return your Apple product for a full refund however the NVRAM reset is not for fan noise issues

shut down and disconnect all external devices except oem keyboard and mouse

reset the smc

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

repeat 2 or 3 times

THEN reset the nvram

How to reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

repeat 2 or 3 times

boot into safe mode

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

then reboot normally.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2018 6:08 AM in response to DMurray verified

you have a 14 day period in which you can return your Apple product for a full refund however the NVRAM reset is not for fan noise issues

shut down and disconnect all external devices except oem keyboard and mouse

reset the smc

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

repeat 2 or 3 times

THEN reset the nvram

How to reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

repeat 2 or 3 times

boot into safe mode

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

then reboot normally.

Mar 12, 2018 7:17 PM in response to DMurray verified

In case you haven't seen this article it may help out.

iMac: Fans run at full speed after computer turns on - Apple Support

The iMac will run the fans at full speed if the power button is pressed while the power cord is being inserted. You mentioned resetting the SMC, but it may be worth doing it one more time (pull power cord for ~15 seconds, then re-insert it), however when doing so make sure that the power button isn't accidentally pressed at the same time.

Mar 12, 2018 6:12 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned I did reset the SMC prior. First thing I did. This is brand new and I have now found more threads on Apple Support Communites with the same issue. Well I don’t think it’s an issue but more expected. It’s not a hardware noise like a broken fan but a fan running at high speed to cool the iMac. I work mostly at night in a quiet room so the noise is loud enough I need to close the door. I’ll have to use the 14 day return. Thanks again.

Mar 12, 2018 7:21 PM in response to iCare

Thanks for your suggestion. My scenario is a bit different. I can power on the iMac and check emails etc okay with fan speed at 1200rpm but as soon as I open multiple apps that use energy, the fan speed goes to max 2700rpm and is unbearable. If I quit one or more of these apps it reverts to normal 1200rpm. In a quiet room at night when I work it’s too much. It may be within spec due to the configuration but I can’t do it. Too noisy.

5K iMac Fan Noise Unbearable.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.