Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages showing users offline

I saw an exchange about this in 2015, but 3 years later, I thought I'd start a fresh one, because it didn't look resolved. Messages, the texting app on my Mac, is showing everyone I'm in conversation with as a highlighted red. Anything I send is not received. My Messages app on my iPhone 5s (yes, old), is working fine with these same people. Bonjour shows a green dot and "Available," my status on the menu bar shows a green dot and "Available," but when I click the recipient's name, it shows their phone numbers grayed out.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 7:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 7:31 AM

In the Messages app preferences, (Messages | Preferences | Accounts)

Is the phone number listed for your account and and the email you are using for your iCloud account?

Also, some have resolved this by enabling Text Message Forwarding on the iOS device.

2 replies

Mar 12, 2018 7:31 AM in response to ZaZo

Thanks. I think for the most part, this has resolved the main issue. My wife got a refurbished iPhone last week, and she is the only one now that I can't seem to send to. Maybe she needs to turn on SMS relay? It's at the top of the dropdown menu with her name. Her phone number and that option are still grayed out.

Messages showing users offline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.