Related Article: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New modem with AirPort Express

I have an old Motorola SB5101u Surfboard Cable Modem, and want to update it (Cox Cable). I have an old AirPort Express. Would a new DOCSIS 3.0 or higher ("Cox certified modem required") work with my old AirPort? Any suggestions on makes/models of modem to get? Thanks.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), WD My Passport Ultra 2TB as backups

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 10:18 AM

When you said "old", we took that at face value, and assumed that you had a discontinued version of the AirPort Express. These would be models A1084, A1088 and A1264.

The A1392 version is still the current model of the AirPort Express offered by Apple, although it might be as much as 5+ years old depending on when you actually purchased the product. This model is compatible with your Mac and the new modem.

A 1264 is the previous model of the AirPort Express, which was discontinued in 2012, so it would not make sense to downgrade to this version, even though your Mac still supports this model.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2018 10:18 AM in response to thewomandirector

When you said "old", we took that at face value, and assumed that you had a discontinued version of the AirPort Express. These would be models A1084, A1088 and A1264.

The A1392 version is still the current model of the AirPort Express offered by Apple, although it might be as much as 5+ years old depending on when you actually purchased the product. This model is compatible with your Mac and the new modem.

A 1264 is the previous model of the AirPort Express, which was discontinued in 2012, so it would not make sense to downgrade to this version, even though your Mac still supports this model.

Mar 12, 2018 9:11 AM in response to thewomandirector

Would a new DOCSIS 3.0 or higher ("Cox certified modem required") work with my old AirPort?

Yes, assuming that your "old" AirPort Express is not too old. Look for the model number on the side of the AirPort Express. It is hard to see....gray lettering on a white background....so you may need good lighting and reading glasses to see it. The model number starts with an "A" followed by four numbers.

Model numbers A1084 or A1088 are unfortunately not compatible with the operating system on your Mac. If you have one of these models, ask Cox to supply you with a modem/router, which will replace both your old modem and AirPort Express.

Express model number A1264 is compatible with your Mac's operating system and would work with the new modem.

New modem with AirPort Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.